- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
UConn released a statement on its sub-standard APR number that will cost the men's basketball program two scholarships next season.
The Huskies fell short of the NCAA's required number of 925, posting a four-year average of 893.
The NCAA officially released the information today, but the news leaked out on Friday. Coach Jim Calhoun spoke to The Day on Friday afternoon.
Because two players left school in 2009-10 -- Darius Smith and Jonathan Mandeldove -- in poor academic standing, UConn went 0-for-2, lowering the four-year average and earning a penalty of two scholarships. The APR for last season was 826.
UConn released statements this afternoon from Calhoun and athletic director Jeff Hathaway.
"We are all disappointed in our academic performance and going forward we are going to attack this the only way I know how and that is to work as hard as possible to get better every day," Calhoun said.
"I do know that over the past year we have made improvements and are moving in the right direction. I believe that we have good, hard-working people in a position to make a positive difference."
Here's what Hathaway said: "Everyone associated with the program recognizes that the team's APR results are not acceptable and is committed to improving the scores. This is a serious matter for the men's basketball program and the Division of Athletics.
"We had already made this a primary concern during the recently completed 2010-11 academic year. The academic performance of our men's basketball team remains a focus of attention this summer and will continue to be a top priority when the new academic year begins.
"We will continue to utilize and further enchance the men's basketball academic improvement plan developed this past fall and implemented by the Counseling Program for Intercollegiate Athletes, the basketball staff, additional Division of Athletics staff member and the President's Athletic Advisory Committee."