3 charged with assault in attack on New London construction worker

One of three men is apprehended by Waterford and New London police in Waterford on Thursday for allegedly assaulting a construction worker in New London.

New London — One man was taken to the hospital after being assaulted in broad daylight by three men wearing ski masks at an Ocean Avenue construction site, police said.

The man suffered multiple facial injuries after being attacked at the Nathan Hale School construction site at the corner of Beech Drive and Ocean Avenue. The extent of his injuries was unknown Thursday night.

The masked men chased a second worker, but he was able to elude the attackers, according to a Thursday night release from Mayor Daryl Justin Finizio's office.

Following the 4:05 p.m. assault, the suspects fled in a red Toyota Camry, which Waterford police pulled over on Cross Road near Marilyn Road. One neighbor there said officers removed the three men from the car at gunpoint.

About seven Waterford and New London police cruisers responded to the scene, and the suspects were taken away in handcuffs by New London police. A tow truck was called to impound the vehicle.

Police said Nicholas Vinci, 18, Kebner Dulphe III, 27, and Vincent Sullivan, 22, were each charged with second-degree assault, second-degree reckless endangerment and breach of peace.

No addresses of those arrested were available Thursday, but police radio traffic indicated the car was registered in Cromwell. Police did not release court dates or bond amounts.

At the construction site Thursday afternoon, co-workers said one of those attacked managed to make a call to a colleague, who returned to the site to help. New London police and fire and an ambulance all responded to the construction site.Police were still interviewing the six workers at the scene around 5 p.m. One worker said the red Camry had come by the site Wednesday before turning around and leaving.

"It seemed out of place," the man said about the car.

Fusco Corp., of New Haven, began renovating the Nathan Hale school in January.

At the beginning of its meeting Thursday, the New London Board of Education held a moment of silence for the construction worker as well as for a teacher who died unexpectedly earlier this week.



Loading comments...
Hide Comments