Kensington - Waterford High School's Nick Hedden tied for second Monday in the CIAC Division II golf tournament at the Timberlin Golf Club.
Hedden, a senior, shot a 74, two strokes behind medalist Chris Bennett of Hand, who shot a 72.
Connor Callaghan was low scorer for East Lyme, shooting an 86. The Vikings, the only local team in the field, placed 21st with 371 strokes.
Hand won the team title with a 313 total.
In other state tournament action:
• Griswold's Sean Sheppard tied for fifth with a 76 at the Division III tournament at Crestbrook Park in Watertown. Teammate Joey Barile tied for 10th with an 80. The Wolverines finished tied for eighth overall with 344 strokes.
Lewis Mills won the team competition with 326 strokes while Weston was second (327) and Windham took third (330). Stonington (362) and Ledyard (364) also represented the Eastern Connecticut Conference.
• Norwich Free Academy finished with 328 strokes and tied for 11th overall at the Division I tournament at Tallwood Country Club in Hebron. Greenwich was the champion with 299.
• Sixth-seeded Somers eliminated No. 3 Old Lyme in the Class S quarterfinals, outlasting the Wildcats in overtime, 14-13. Sean McMahon led Old Lyme with four goals while Jimmy Fairfield-Sonn and Sam Sweitzer each had three goals and two assists and Graham Girty had three goals and one assist.
• Waterford senior Dana Aing advanced to the Class M quarterfinals with a 6-1, 7-5 win over unseeded David Wagner of Guilford on Sunday.
"That's a big win for Waterford," Waterford coach Ralph DiSaia. "Dana played his heart out."
Aing, the No. 7 seed, will meet No. 2 Sam Aronson of Avon today at Hamden High School. Aronson knocked off Stonington's Casey Sartor, 6-0, 6-1.
Ledyard's Eric Sun, the No. 4 seed, lost to Dan Rombola of Berlin, 6-3, 6-3.
In doubles action, Woodstock's Chris Lowry and Greg Meade upset No. 4 seed Tucker Murphy and Brett Pias of Waterford, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-1), and avenged a loss in the ECC final.
• In Class S, Old Lyme's Morgan White, the No. 3 seed, cruised into the quarterfinals with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Jack Hartle of Thomaston. White faces No. 11 Kyle Peterson of Valley Regional today at Conard in West Hartford.
In other Class S action, St. Bernard's Nick Zuczek, a No. 15 seed, lost to No. 2 Chris Waung of East Catholic, 6-2, 6-0, in the third round. Old Saybrook's Jack Rothman will resume his third round match with Weston's Jonathan Lipsitz today.
In doubles third round action, Old Saybrook's Sam Henry and Suraj Kholsa lost to Bolton's Sam Hillenbrand and Bill Whehon, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2. Old Lyme's Alex Brult and Dan Kurpaska lost to Shepaug Valley's Ed Kelly and Kellen Rikoff, 6-4, 6-1. And Old Saybrook's Jeremy King and Rocky Zhang fell to Jack Langston and Alex McQuillan of Bolton, 6-2, 6-3.
• In Class L, East Lyme's Andy King, the No. 8 seed, lost to No. 10 Tommy Worcester of New Canaan, 6-3, 6-3, in the third round. No. 19 Suryansh Patel of East Lyme fell to No. 3 Jack Meyer of Fairfield Ludlowe, 6-0, 6-1.
• Waterford American Legion will hold tryouts on Wednesday and Thursday at 5 p.m. at Waterford High School. For more information contact Harold Hansen at (860) 303-1421 or HarryH@aol.com