- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton — Erik Nicholson allowed three hits over six innings with eight strikeouts and two walks as East Lyme beat Tri-County Wednesday, 3-0, in the SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth tournament winner's bracket final at Washington Park.
East Lyme advances to Saturday's championship game (5 p.m.) at the same site. It will play the winner of today's game between Tri-County and Waterford (7 p.m.).
Slater Gregory earned the save and went 3-for-3 and scored for East Lyme. Also, Lee Rake had two doubles, a run and an RBI and Nick Bellas had two hits.
Tom Cassello scattered eight hits with four strikeouts and a walk for Tri-County.
Spikes shutout Tigers
• Tyler Gaffney went 3-for-3 with a run and an RBI as the State College Spikes beat the Connecticut Tigers Wednesday, 2-0, in a New York-Penn League game played before 1,060 at Dodd Stadium.
Clay Holmes allowed three hits over five innings with four strikeouts and two walks to earn the win for the Spikes (21-16). Zach Kirksey and Patrick Smith each had two hits for the Tigers (16-21).
Swamp Bats blank Schooners
• Kevin McAvoy (Bryant) scattered three hits over eight innings with seven strikeouts and no walks as the Keene Swamp Bats beat the Mystic Schooners, 5-0, in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game played before 1,375 at Alumni Field in Keene, N.H.
Grant Kay (Iowa Western CC) had two hits, including a double, and scored for the Swamp Bats (25-11).
The Schooners are 6-29.
• Mitch Furber pitched a four-hitter with six strikeouts and helped his cause with a single and a run as Esh's beat the Pirates, 6-0.
Yohendy Gonzalez went 4-for-4 with a run and a stolen base for Esh's (13-4) and Brian McGugan added two hits and two RBI. The Pirates are 8-9.
Sutera (11-12) baseball
• T.J. McBride hit a two-run home run in the top of the sixth inning as Waterford North beat North Stonington, 4 -2. Collin Bakken pitched a complete game with 11 strikeouts for Waterford North.
Chris Munzer struck out 10 for North Stonington, and he and Ken Turner both had a home run for North Stonington.
• Connor McCrea and Vin Baker combined on a no-hitter as Mystic beat East Lyme II, 11-0. Owen Payne and Will Bartinik both had two hits and Josh Georgetti homered to pace Mystic.
Sutera (9-10) baseball
• Parker Stone had three hits as Lyme-Old Lyme beat Waterford South, 16-6. Brady Sheffield and Colbe Andrews each had two hits for Lyme Old-Lyme and Tait Sawden hit a triple. Tyrone Santiago and Devon Seidel each had hits for Waterford South.