Penn St. faced losing football for four years

Penn State faced the threat of a four-year ban on playing football before the NCAA imposed sanctions this week over the school's handling of the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal, a university spokesman said Wednesday.

David La Torre said the potential for the multiyear "death penalty" was floated during discussions between Penn State President Rodney Erickson and NCAA officials before Penn State was hit Monday with a $60 million fine, a four-year bowl game ban, reduced football scholarships and the forfeiture of 112 wins.

The school trustees met on the subject at a State College hotel Wednesday, and afterward issued a statement calling the NCAA punishment "unfortunate" but better than the alternative - the so-called "death penalty." Reporters were barred from the conference room where they met, and trustees avoided them after the meeting broke up.

The potential for a four-year ban, first reported by ESPN, showed how high the stakes were as college sports' governing body considered how to respond to an internal school investigation by former FBI Director Louis Freeh that found former coach Joe Paterno and three other top college officials helped conceal reports that Sandusky was abusing children.

NCAA president Mark Emmert said this week that if a total football ban had been imposed, other penalties would have accompanied it.

"If the death penalty were to be imposed, I'm quite sure that the executive committee and I ... would not have agreed to just the death penalty. It would have included other penalties as well," Emmert said as the sanctions were unveiled.

An NCAA spokeswoman declined further comment Wednesday.

A person with knowledge of the meeting said earlier Wednesday that trustees were to discuss whether Erickson had the authority to agree to the sanctions without first getting the board's approval. The person was not authorized to discuss the meeting and spoke on condition of anonymity.

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments