- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Montville - Marc McGrath Jr. singled home Chase Lewis in the bottom of the ninth inning Sunday as Zone VI champion Montville advanced to Wednesday's quarterfinals of the state Junior American Legion tournament with a 5-4, victory over Guilford.
Montville trailed 4-0 after two innings. In the fifth Montville scored twice as Greg Benjamin doubled and scored on Rohan Parekh's double. Lewis singled home Parekh. Montville (17-8) tied it with two runs in the sixth. Stan Kesilewski doubled home Luke Van Hausen and later scored on an error.
McGrath and Lewis had two hits each and Benjamin won the game in relief of Kesilewski.
• Ledyard-Pawcatuck lost to Danbury North 5-1 in the first round of the state tournament. The game was completed after being suspended by rain Saturday. Danbury North scored five runs, all unearned, in the first inning. Brenden Gayowski's double was one of three hits for Ledyard-Pawcatuck.
• Niantic's season came to an end with a second-round 20-0 loss to Stamford in a game played at Darien.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth playoffs
• Tri-County beat East Lyme 2-1 to force a deciding game in the championship round. The deciding game started, but was suspended by rain after a scoreless first inning. It will resume today at 8 p.m., at Washington Park in Groton.
Aaron Tirney was the winner, pitching a three-hitter with three strikeouts and no walks. Cody Depersia and Brian White each had a hit and scored a run and Liam Christ drove in a run for Tri-County.
Slater Gregory took the loss, pitching a four-hitter with 11 strikeouts and four walks. Gregory, who allowed one earned run, also had two hits. Lee Brake had the RBI and Will Belke scored for East Lyme.
Senior League (15-16) softball
• Waterford lost to Maine champion New Gloucester 4-0 at the Eastern Regional tournament at Worcester, Mass. Margaret Reagan, Karena Bushy and Mena Buscetto had singles for Waterford (1-1), which plays host Worcester today at 2 p.m.
Tigers will play two today
• The Connecticut Tigers trailed the Jamestown Jammers 12-0 when play was suspended in the fourth inning because of rain. The teams will resume the seven-inning game today at 6:05 p.m., at Dodd Stadium in Norwich. Then, after a half-hour break, the teams will play a second seven-inning game.
Sutera tournament (11-12)
• Owen Payne doubled twice to help lead Mystic to an 8-3 win over North Stonington. Connor McCrea and Ryan Koehler each had a double for Mystic and Josh Georgetti was the winning pitcher. Ken Turner and Jason Tuttle had two hits each for North Stonington.
• T.J. McBride homered and doubled to lead Waterford North to a 6-3 win over Waterford South. Eddie Aledia was the winning pitcher. Bryan Neilan doubled for Waterford South.
Sutera tournament (9-10)
• Luke Leonard pitched a one-hitter as East Lyme beat Montville 13-1. Sophie Dubreuil singled, doubled and tripled for East Lyme. Owen Robbins had three hits, Chris Malcom had two hits and Alex Fraser doubled for East Lyme. Nick Calash had Montville's only hit.
• Noah Bautista earned the victory and had eight strikeouts as Groton beat Waterford South 11-4. Diego Negron and Bautista had two hits each for Groton and Tryone Santiago had two hits for Waterford.