Local roundup: Tigers hold off Staten Island 6-5
Norwich - The Connecticut Tigers withstood State Island's three-run rally in the ninth inning to beat the Yankees, 6-5, in a New York-Penn League baseball game on Thursday night at Dodd Stadium.
Zach Kirksey singled in a pair of runs for the Tigers (23-37), who also scored three runs in without a hit in the sixth inning. Danry Vasquez had a pair of hits for Connecticut and Patrick Smith doubled.
Edgard De Las Rosa (4-2) picked up the win, working 5 1/3 innings.
• Defending Eastern Connecticut Major League champion Esh's advanced to the final with a 6-1 win over the ACD Rangers to win the best-of-three semifinal series 2-0. Esh's will play the winner of the Johnny Rockets-Pirates series Monday at 7 p.m., at Washington Park in Groton.
Paul Martinez pitched a five-hitter over six innings for the win, striking out four with two walks. He also singled, tripled and scored twice. Mickey Amanti and Brian McGugan each had two hits and scored twice for Esh's. Blake Biancamano had two hits for the Rangers.
Potvin tournament (19)
• Mike Delossantos, Aaron Hill and Drew Doyle had three hits each to lead Team Meineke to a 17-5 win over Jewett City. Casey Zalagens (two RBI), Nova Crespo and Al Jordan Johnson had two hits each, Josh Zurita was the winning pitcher, Hill drove in four runs and Delossantos drove in two for Meineke. Kyle Dombrowski and Zach wood had two hits each for Jewett City.
• Keith Chamberlain went the distance, striking out seven, as the Tides beat Lebanon 7-0. Eddie Lorah and Paul Hallinan had three hits each for the Tides, 2-0 in pool play.
• Jon Mewha pitched a six-hitter with 11 strikeouts as Team Meineke beat Fewls 5-2 Wednesday. Al Jordan Johnson was 3-for-3 with two doubles and two RBI for Meineke. Zach Kane doubled twice and scored a run and Matt Greene singled and doubled for Fewls.
Potvin tournament (17)
• Luis Vega had three hits and drove in three runs to help lead the CT Pirates to a 5-2 win over the CT Crush Wednesday. Willie Rios had two hits, Tito Dejesus scored twice and Connor Hope was the winning pitcher for the Pirates. Tommy Jan had two hits and Jeremy Mac went the distance for the Crush, striking out 12.
Potvin tournament (13)
• Corey Conderino allowed only two hits and struck out five in four innings of scoreless relief as Waterford Babe Ruth beat the Clinton Hounds 9-4 in a winners' bracket game. Mitchell Clapsdale tripled and doubled for Waterford, Chase Speller added a single and double and Spencer Hoagland and Mike Rocchetti had two hits apiece.
• Matt Watts was 3-for-3 to help lift the Shoreline Hammerheads to a 12-2 win over the CT Pirates Gold in a losers' bracket game. Matt Shane went the first four innings for the win and Wyatt Smith had two hits and stole a base for the Hammerheads.
• Joel Garcia pitched a three-hitter to lift the CT Pirates Black to a 4-0 win over the Shoreline Hammerheads Wednesday. Garcia struck out five.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES