Local roundup: Kennerley lifts Coast Guard to victory
New London - Senior captain Greg Kennerley scored two second half goals, leading Coast Guard Academy past archrival Merchant Marine for the first time since 1999 with a 3-1 win Saturday in front of a capacity crowd in the home opener.
Coast Guard, which was 0-11-1 in the last 12 meetings against Merchant Marine, improves to 2-1 on the season while the Mariners drop to 2-2 on the season.
Junior Joe Bodzewski started the scoring in the first half in the 21st minute off a free kick into the box that Bobby Copeland headed back across the face of goal for Bodzewski to head into the net.
Merchant Marine tied the game off an own goal.
Against a stiff wind to start the second half, CG came out and dominated possession. Kennerley scored on a penalty kick for a 2-1 lead and then added another goal off Matthew Bogdan's corner kick.
Sophomore Richie Burns made a handful of solid saves from distance.
In other games:
• Ramazan Sinani made 14 saves in Mitchell College's 2-0 loss to Springfield College. The Mariners are 1-1.
• Heidi Halsted scored with about four minutes remaining to cap a second half rally and lead Connecticut College to a 3-2 victory over Colby College at Silfen Field.
Brittany Fitzgerald and Jen Morgan had second half goals for the Camels in their New England Small College Athletic Conference opener. Sophomore Becca Napolitano made seven stops.
• Mitchell College split two non-conference matches, beating Pine Manor College (25-12, 25-15, 19-25, 25-18) and losing to Albertus Magnus (25-23, 16-25, 25-17, 25-18).
Against Pine Manor, freshman Amanda Garcia had a match-high 11 kills and junior Nicole Terni of Ledyard added 24 assists.
Against Albertus Magnus, Terni had 25 assists and 15 digs while Shayna Diggs of Gales Ferry had a team-high nine kills. The Mariners are 1-4.
• Conn College took first place at the 2012 Wildcat Invitational at Johnson & Wales in Providence. Senior setter Katie Ketcham was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player. The Camels beat Keene State (25-13, 25-10, 25-17), Johnson & Wales (25-15, 25-22, 25-22), Wheaton (25-23, 25-8, 25-18) and Springfield (25-20, 25-19, 25-16).
• Coast Guard opened up its home schedule with a 3-0 win over Merchant Marine Academy (25-11, 25-18, 25-13). The Bears (2-4) were led by Karen Matic, Catherine Walker and Kelsey DePorto who all tied for the team lead with eight kills apiece. Junior Sam Marmolejo had eight digs.
• Lauren Maisano had a goal and two assists, leading Rhode Island College to a 5-0 win over Mitchell. Diamond Thomas made 10 saves for Mitchell (0-1).
• Junior Crysti Tsujiara scored with 1:02 left to lift the Colby College to a 2-1 victory against Conn College. Lily Cannon scored for the Camels and goalie Natalie Signor had six saves in their season opener.
Men's cross country
• Mitchell College opened the 2012 season at the Trinity College Bantam Invitational at Wickham Park. The Mariners finished 12th. Junior Andrew Castagna of Westerly led the team in the 5k race with a time of 20:04 and finished 68th overall.
• Coast Guard placed six runners in the top 19 with Garry Ezzo leading the way with a fifth place finish as the Bears placed third of the 10 teams at the season-opening Smith Invitational.
Ezzo ran the course in 27:24 .25 while Joe O'Connell (28:15.46) and Ryan O'Neill (28:16.46) were 10th and 11th respectively for the Bears.
• Conn College finished fourth at the Trinity College Invitational at Wickham Park. Sophomore Patrick Dermody posted a time of 17:19 on the 5k course to finish 12th and freshman Niall Williams was 19th in 17:34.
Women's cross country
• Mitchell College finished eighth at the Trinity College Bantam Invitational at Wickham Park. Freshman Sheilah Newcity of Stonington led the Mariners with a time of 20:14 in the 4k race, taking 50th.
• Coast Guard placed three runners in the top 20 as the Bears placed third of the 14 teams at the Smith Invitational.
Beth Gollin was fourth in 20:13.40 to lead the Bears while Sarah Blatt placed sixth in 20:27.72 and Rachel Hill took 20th in 21:12.15 in her first collegiate meet.
• Conn College placed four runners in the top eight to win the eight team Roger Williams University Invitational at Colt State Park in Bristol, R.I. Freshman Ariana Beers placed third in 20:18 and Emily Winter was fifth in 20:44 while Anna Laurence was seventh in 21:14 for the Camels.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES