- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Jake Rendon scored in the second overtime Saturday to lead the Coast Guard Academy men's soccer team to a 2-1 win over Springfield College in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference opener for both teams.
Rendon also assisted on Robert Copeland's goal early in the second half, which gave Coast Guard (3-2) a 1-0 lead. Richie Burns made four saves for the Bears.
In other games:
• Connecticut College played to a double-overtime 1-1 tie with Hamilton in a New England Small College Athletic Conference game. Kevin O'Brien's unassisted goal in the 68th minute pulled Conn (1-0-2, 0-0-2) even at 1-1.
• Coast Guard lost to Wellesley 2-1 in its NEWMAC opener. Freshman Madison Ahlers scored in the second half for Coast Guard (1-4) and Jill Kelly assisted on the goal.
• Conn College dropped a 2-1 decision to Hamilton in the NESCAC. Aina Torres' unassisted goal at 23:37 gave Conn (0-2, 0-2) a 1-0 lead, but Alex Rimmer scored once in each half to lift Hamilton to the win. Natalie Signor made nine saves for Conn.
• Brittany Fitzgerald and Ali Holland had a goal and an assist each to lead Conn College to a 3-1 win over Hamilton in the NESCAC. Jennifer Morgan also scored, Kelsey Nickerson and Heidi Halsted had assists and Becca Napolitano made two saves for Conn (3-0, 2-0).
• Louisa Boddy scored three goals to lead No. 5 UConn (6-0, 1-0) to a 5-0 win over Rutgers in the Big East.
• Conn College beat Middlebury 15-13 in the fifth game for a 3-2 NESCAC win. Caroline Martin had 17 kills and 21 digs, Rachel Schroff had 11 kills, Carly Guiducci had 22 digs and Katie Ketcham had 43 assists for Conn (6-1, 1-1).
Conn lost to Williams 3-1 Friday night. Schroff had 14 kills and eight assists, Martin had 10 kills and 20 digs and Ketcham had 30 assists.
• Coast Guard increased its home winning streak to 19, beating Eastern Connecticut State 3-0 and NEWMAC opponent Wheaton 3-0. Against Wheaton, Keriann Mason, Catherine Walker and Karen Matic (15 assists) had nine kills each, Maggie Hine had four aces and Ashley Dumont had three blocks for Coast Guard (5-4, 2-0).
Matic had seven kills and 11 assists against ECSU while Walker had seven kills, Dumont had six kills and Elise Sako had three aces and seven digs. ECSU beat Wheaton 3-0 as former Norwich Free Academy standout Katie Wilson had 14 kills and eight digs for ECSU.
• Mitchell College dropped a 3-1 decision to Mount Saint Vincent. Nicole Terni had 20 assists, Gloria Charles had six kills and Arianna Thomas had 23 digs for Mitchell (2-5).
Men's cross country
• Coast Guard finished fourth at the UMass-Dartmouth Invitational 8K and Conn College placed 10th.
Gary Ezzo led Coast Guard with an 11th-place finish in a time of 25:17. Joey O'Connell was 26th (25:56), Ryan O'Neill was 45th (26:20), Jordan Lee was 57th (26:32) and James Martin was 67th (26:41).
Patrick Dermody was the top finisher for Conn in 35th (26:05). Other top finishers for the Camels were Drew Majkut in 51st (26:26), Niall Williams in 52nd (26:26), Brad DeMarco in 71st (26:43) and Mike Joyce in 88th (27:00).
Women's cross country
• Coast Guard finished fourth at the UMass-Dartmouth Invitational 5K and Conn College finished eighth. Sophomore Beth Gollin finished 16th in 18:58 to lead Coast Guard. Also scoring for the Bears were Sarah Blatt in 37th (19:23), Meghan Kalinowski in 45th (19:33), Melissa Keeley was 68th (20:00) and Rebecca Fox was 69th (20:03).
Conn was led by Ariana Beers' 26th-place finish (19:12). Other top finishers for the Camels were Emily Winter in 63rd (19:55), Michelle Wesley in 69th (20:00) and Nicole Adam in 71st (20:03).