- Living Their Faith
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Okay, New London, you've got our attention.
Truth time — y'all were a mystery to everyone here at Polecat HQ. Yeah, we know you've got a rich heritage. You always have talent and tough guys, too. The problem was that none of us knew who you were.
Let's be honest here — you graduated a lot of talent and were going to be starting a lot of noobs. Then you got a new boss, which clouded the picture we were trying to develop of you. You became the Eastern Connecticut Conference's x-factor; an unknown quantity, but one that would be reckoned with if you played up to your predecessors' standards.
We were glad when we saw that you'd play Montville in Week 2. There are some good players over at 800 Old Colchester Road. They have considerably more brawn than you, too. We figured they'd give us a good profile of you (and you for them).
We get it now, New London. You're good. You remain a threat to the rest of the ECC. Dare we say that Class M contenders Berlins, Brookfields and Hillhouses need to take a road trip to come scout you?
(Ledyard has it easy — it only has to scoot over the Gold Star to see you)
Yep, you've got our attention, New London.
Reckon you've gotten the state's attention, too.
■ ■ ■ ■
Speaking of Brookfield, it was responsible for one of Friday's other big YOWZAH wins as it beat Bunnell, 33-18.
The game wasn't even that close, either. The Bobcats led by as much as 26-0. Few teams do that to Bunnell.
Brookfield has a new quarterback, junior Brad Westmark. He took over for two-year starter Boeing Brown, who moved to receiver.
Westmark completed 25 of 35 passes for 391 yards and two touchdowns against the Bulldogs. Junior Nick Biasetti had eight catches for 143 yards, and Brown added seven catches for 121 yards and a touchdown.
Man, Class M is looking like the most interesting division this season.
■ ■ ■ ■
■ ■ ■ ■
Below are links to Friday game stories about teams in The Day's Top 10 state coaches poll:
1. Xavier 49, North Haven 28. 28-straight wins for the Falcons, too. The esteemed Jim Bransfield reporting for the Middletown Press.
2. Ansonia 47, Woodland 16. HOLY CATS, the Chargers are fast. And they spread the ball around much more than last year's Class M championship team. Everybody in Class M oughta' Tebow as Ansonia dropped back into Class S. Vinnie Paul lookalike Kyle Brennan reporting for the Waterbury Republican-American.
3. Hand 37, Hillhouse 19. It was not easy for the Tigers, either. The Academics deserve your respect. Pooch Diggity-Dogg reporting for the New Haven Register.
4. Staples 49, Bridgeport Central 6. Ryan Lacey reporting for Hearst, Inc.
5. Windsor 49, Bristol Central 7. The Warriors scored four times on just seven plays in the first quarter. Dave Greenleaf of the Bristol Press reporting.
6. West Haven 40, Guilford 28. Scroll down to the bottom of the Register's football roundup and you'll find a blurb.
7. Greenwich 48, Bassick 2. The Lions have had quite the pleasurable early schedule. They played New Canaan last week, then the Cardinals this week. Sheesh. Who do they get next? Florida's Manatee High? David Fierro reporting for the Greenwich Morris Day and the Time.
8. New Canaan plays at Trinity Catholic today.
9. Masuk 41, New Milford 21. You can find it HERE in the ConnPost's football roundup.
10. Glastonbury 63, Newington 28. The game was tied at 28 at halftime. And then Glastonbury went into attack mode. Matt Straub of the New Britain Herald reporting.
■ ■ ■ ■
ALL THE SCORES
Amity 58, Sheehan 14
Ansonia 47, Woodland 16
Barlow 48, Bethel 20
Berlin 25, Rocky Hill 14
Bloomfield 53, East Catholic 14
Brookfield 33, Bunnell 18
Bulkeley 22, Fermi 6
Cheshire 20, Branford 0
Danbury 15, Hamden 14
Derby 21, Naugatuck 20
Fairfield Prep 47, East Haven 0
Farmington 17, Maloney 7
Fitch 28, Stonington 7
Gilbert/NW Regional 41, Enfield 26
Glastonbury 63, Newington 28
Greenwich 48, Bassick 2
Griswold 13, Waterford 12
Hand 37, Hillhouse 19
Hartford Capital Prep/Classical/Achievement First 40, Putnam/Tourtellotte/Ellis Tech 13
Law 28, Wilbur Cross 12
Holy Cross 28, Watertown 13
Manchester 38, South Windsor 7
Masuk 41, New Milford 21
McMahon 41, Harding 14
Middletown 43, Bristol Eastern 0
New Fairfield 49, Immaculate 0
New London 38, Montville 7
Newtown 42, Pomperaug 7
North Branford 51, Haddam-Killingworth 6
Notre Dame-West Haven 49, Lyman Hall 6
Plainfield 43, St. Bernard/Norwich Tech 6
Platt 50, Rockville 0
Prince Tech 46, Whitney Tech 0
Ridgefield 41, Fairfield Ludlowe 14
Seymour 57, Sacred Heart 12
Shelton 31, Foran 8
Southington 32, New Britain 7
Stafford/East Windsor 52, Housatonic/Wamogo 20
Stamford 48, Norwalk 7
Staples 49, Bridgeport Central 6
Stratford 37, Notre Dame-Fairfield 14
Tolland 22, Plainville 20
Valley Regional/Old Lyme 49, Nonnewaug 0
Westhill 37, Trumbull 30 (OT)
West Haven 40, Guilford 28
Windham 38, East Lyme 21
Windsor 49, Bristol Central 7
Wolcott 39, Torrington 34
Xavier 49, North Haven 12
Vaya con dios….