- Make A Difference
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London – As cold weather approaches and the risk of home fires increases, the New London Fire Department announced Thursday that a limited number of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are now available to residents.
Fire Marshal Calvin Darrow said in a written release that the department received these devices through a Community Development Block Grant award and Operation Save a Life. Darrow said these alarms should be installed, at the minimum, outside every bedroom on every level of the home.
Darrow wrote that one-third of the 50,000 heating-related fires annually are attributed to portable space heaters. He recommends keeping all flammable materials at least 3 feet away from heaters, turn off heaters when you leave a room and avoid using extension cords to power a space heater.
To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, Darrow recommends using a licensed professional to install and maintain your heating system annually, to not use gas appliances to heat your home and to install carbon monoxide detectors.
For more information, contact the fire marshal’s office at (860) 440-6666 or (860) 440-6665.