New London - Coast Guard Academy extended its home winning streak to 22 by defeating DeSales and Lasell on the final day of the Bear Classic volleyball tournament on Saturday.
Coast Guard, ranked sixth in the latest New England Division III poll, has not lost at home since 2010.
The Bears beat DeSales 3-1 and came back later to blank Lasell 3-0.
Against DeSales, Kelsey DePorto and Catherine Walker led the Bears (8-5) with 16 kills each, while Keriann Mason had 11 kills and 14 digs and Karen Matic had a match-high 35 assists.
In the win over Lasell, Walker led the way with 11 kills while Emily Gilland had eight aces and eight digs, and DePorto had nine kills and six blocks.
Walker, DePorto and libero Samantha Marmolejo were all named to the all-tournament team from Coast Guard.
In other matches:
• Connecticut College, ranked fourth in New England, beat Elms 25-12, 25-8 and 25-14 and Mount Holyoke 25-12, 25-14 and 25-14. Cailyn Straubel had 14 kills and nine digs while Melissa Kohl chipped 12 kills for the Camels (9-1). Jamie Balkin was a defensive standout, finishing with 13 digs.
• Mitchell College dropped a pair of 3-1 decisions, losing to Emmanuel College (22-25, 25-22, 25-22, 25-20) and Albertus Magnus College (25-19, 25-20, 24-26, 25-14). Against Emmanuel, Nicole Terni ahd 27 assists, 12 digs and three aces.
Against Albertus Magnus, Arianna Thomas had 10 kills and a match-high 26 digs. Amanda Garcia also contributed seven kills and three blocks while Gloria Charles had eight kills.
• In a rematch between the 2011 Big East tournament finalists, No. 2 UConn blanked No. 13 St. John's 3-0 before a soldout crowd at Morrone Stadium. Carlos Alvarez had two goals and also assisted on Allando Matheson's goal for the undefeated Huskies (7-0-1, 1-0). St. John's fell to 5-1-3, 0-1.
• Julian Gocksch had a goal and an assist to lead Trinity College to a 3-0 win over Conn College in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. It was the first loss of the season for the Camels (1-1-2, 0-1-2). Trinity is 3-1-1, 2-1-1.
• Coast Guard scored two second half goals to post a 2-0 win over WPI in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. Freshman Ricky Davies scored his first goal and the Bears (4-3, 2-0) added another score on an own goal. Richie Burns made four saves to earn the shutout.
• Kelsey Thomas, a freshman from Stonington, had a goal and an assist during Trinity's 4-1 victory over Conn College in the NESCAC. Aina Torres scored the lone goal for Conn (0-3-1, 0-3).
• Alexandra Charles and Lauren Fritsch scored two goals apiece as Mitchell won its first game with a 7-0 win over Daniel Webster in the New England Collegiate Conference.
Charles also had an assist for the Mariners (1-3, 1-0), who didn't allow a shot on goal. Breanna Poirier, a sophomore from Norwich Free Academy, also scored for Mitchell.
• Sophomore Hannah Yee scored two goals, leading Mount Holyoke past Coast Guard, 2-0, in the NEWMAC. Devin Fellman made three saves for the Bears (1-5, 0-2) who held an 18-8 edge in shots.
• Sarah Duncan had one goal and one assist to lead No. 15 Trinity to a 3-0 victory over Conn College in the NESCAC. The Bantams are 5-0, 4-0 while the previously unbeaten Camels fell to 3-1, 2-1. Becca Napolitano made 11 saves in goal for Conn, which was outshot 19-8.
• Mitchell won its second straight NECC match, defeating Lesley, 7-2. Junior Carly Paterson of Gales Ferry won her No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles match, combining with senior Julie Embley. The Mariners are 2-3, 2-1.
Men's cross country
• Coast Guard posted a second-place finish out of 10 teams at the Wesleyan Invitational, placing five runners in the top 30. Junior Gary Ezzo was fifth overall in 26:31 while Joe O'Connell took 15th (27:20), Jordan Lee 16th (27:28), Ryan O'Neil 26th (28:03) and Brad Pienta 27th (28:04).
• Drew Castagna was Mitchell's top runner at Wesleyan, placing 69th in 30:57. The Mariners were 10th.
• Conn College junior Mike LeDuc finished seventh overall out of 208 runners at the Purple Valley Classic in Williamstown, Mass. He finished in 26:24 for the Camels, who placed seventh out of 17 teams. Andrew Duarte was 27th (27:08) and Patrick Dermody took 49th (27:51).
Women's cross country
• Coast Guard placed fourth out of 11 teams at the Wesleyan Invitational. The Bears placed four runners in the top 30 with sophomore Beth Gollin leading the way in fourth in 19:20.
Sarah Blatt was 10th (19:49), Meghan Kalinowski 21st (20:15) and Melissa Keeley 26th (20:20).
• Conn College took fifth at Wesleyan. Ariana Beers lead the Camels, placing eighth in 19:41 while Michelle Wesley was 19th (20:10) and Emily Winter was 28th (20:26).
• Freshman Sheila Newcity of Stonington was Mitchell's top runner at Wesleyan, pacing 104th in 23:52. The Mariners finished 11th.