Waterford - Melina Spanos scored three goals in the second half to lift the Waterford High School girls' soccer team past Bacon Academy, 3-0, Saturday in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division.
Hannah Scahill had two assists for the Lancers (3-0, 1-0).
"Melina showed why she is a player of the year candidate in the second half," Waterford coach Rob Brule said. "The final two goals day showcased her individual skill level and were two of the most creative goals I have seen in a long time."
With the game still scoreless early in the second half, Waterford goalie Julie Zawacki made a tough save on a point-blank shot. She finished with six saves.
"If she doesn't make that save, I don't think we win," Brule said. "That was the turning point in the game for us."
In other games:
• Mirandah Ackley scored twice to lead Wheeler to a 2-0 win over Putnam. Kylie Baker and Jess Muller each had assists for the Lions (1-2-1) and Jess Morgan had six saves.
• Cassidy Marshall scored as Norwich Free Academy beat Woodstock Academy, 1-0, in the ECC Large. Megan Gada had the assist for the Wildcats (2-1, 1-0) and Katherine Beasley added seven saves.
• Quarterback Joe Paparelli's only three pass completions went for touchdowns as NFA routed Woodstock 48-7 in the ECC Large Division.
Paparelli connected twice with Ryer Caruso (13 and 36 yards) and once with Marcus Outlow (five yards) as NFA (2-0, 1-0) scored all of its points in the second half. Paparelli finished 3 of 4 for 54 yards and also rushed four times for 57 yards, including a 1-yard TD run.
Khaleed Exum-Strong (eight yards) and Ramel Williams (13 yards) also added TD runs for the Wildcats and Steve Makowicki recovered a touchdown in the end zone for another score. Elisa Formiglio converted six of seven extra point attempts.
• Yianni Longinidis scored the game-winning goal on an assist from Max Wolfley in the 71st minute, giving Waterford a 3-2 win over Fitch in the ECC Large. Brett Pias and Aaron Schwartz scored for Waterford (4-1, 1-1) and Longinidis added an assist. Frank Norosky scored twice for the Falcons (1-3-1, 0-1-1).
• Chris Ladd scored for Griswold in its 2-0 win over St. Bernard in the ECC Small. Kevin Kersay had 14 saves for the Saints (0-4, 0-1).
• Jeff Tryon had two goals and two assists as Montville beat Wheeler, 6-0. Josh Handler, Connor Leeman and Nick Strecker had a goal and an assist for the Indians (3-0). Jacob Sylvestre had 10 saves for the Lions (2-1).
• East Lyme's Alex Aquino scored two first-half goals but Masuk rallied in the second half to earn a 2-2 tie in the nonconference game in Monroe. Connor Callaghan had two assists and Goalie Taran Prashanth made 11 saves for the Vikings (2-0-2).
Boys' cross country
• Williams School won the Division II race at the 40th Canterbury Invitational in New Milford, scoring 75 points. Chris Ivimey led the Blues, finishing fourth in 18:32 while Ben Lahm (14th, 19:02), Nathaniel Ryan (17th, 19:13), Brien Bradley (18th, 19:13) and Justin Shafner (22nd, 19:16) rounded out the top five for Williams.
Girls' cross country
• Williams' Maddie Lahm finished seventh (21:58) at the Canterbury Invitational in New Milford.
• Libby Morrison had three goals and an assist in Stonington's 6-0 win over Waterford in the ECC. Steph Stearns had a goal and an assist while Molly Crowley and Tia Boyce also scored for the Bears (3-0, 3-1).
Goalie Becca Gregoire had 14 saves for the Lancers (2-1, 2-2).