- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
East Lyme - Jill Bartlett had 28 assists and Emily Ennis added 10 kills Friday as the East Lyme High School volleyball team swept Woodstock Academy 25-21, 25-13, 25-22 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division match.
It was the first meeting between the two since East Lyme beat the Centaurs in five games in the CIAC Class L semifinals last year. East Lyme went on to repeat as state champion.
Kiki Ryan had nine kills for the Vikings (7-1, 3-0).
"They were focused from the first point to the last point," East Lyme coach Jack Biggs said of his team. "We played consistent defensively, and we never let them get on any runs or gain momentum."
In other matches:
• Ashley Adams had 16 kills and Nikki Schoolcraft had 13 assists as Fitch defeated Ledyard 25-22, 20-25, 25-21, 26-24. Sofie Clark had eight blocks for Fitch (6-1) and Michalena Pinto had five aces. Kylie Fustini had 16 kills and five blocks for the Colonels (5-3, 3-0) and Ari Fustini had nine digs and four aces.
• Amanda Tourjee had 21 assists and Megan Elphick added 10 kills and four aces as Waterford beat Griswold 21-25, 25-15, 25-20, 25-23 in the ECC Medium. Lexi Moger added 10 kills for Waterford (2-5, 1-2).
• Alyssa Tacchi had 21 assists as Lyman Memorial beat Montville 25-17, 25-11, 25-10 in the ECC Small. Cassidy Bundy had seven blocks for Montville (3-4, 2-1).
• Waterford accomplished something it hadn't done in at least 12 seasons, beating Fitch. Senior Ali McDermott won the 200 freestyle (2:27.61) and 100 breaststroke (1:30.17), as Waterford beat the Falcons 92-87 in an ECC meet.
"This was pretty special," Waterford coach Brett Arnold said. "The girls have been working hard. I'm very happy with them. Right from the get-go, I knew they were a special group."
Asia Langley won the 50 freestyle (27.38) and 100 butterfly (1:08.29) and swam the final leg of the 400 freestyle (4:30.97) to clinch the win for the Lancers (2-3, 2-2). Rachel Crawford, Meika Gathy and Emily Pepin also swam on that team.
Katherine Tsouris won the diving (125.80 points), and McDermott, Crawford, Gathy and Langley won the 200 freestyle relay (2:01.28).
Grace Moriarty won the 200 freestyle (2:47.07) and Jackie Kokomoor won the 100 freestyle (1:06.20) for Fitch (2-2, 2-2). Also, Sarah Ferguson won the 100 backstroke (1:15.71) and Michelle Campbell won the 400 freestyle (5:13.84).
• Norwich Free Academy had seven different swimmers win individual events in a 99-76 victory over Windham in the ECC. Alli Kerr took the 200 freestyle, followed by Leah Gionet (200 individual medley), Kathryn Arronica (diving), Stephanie Lefevbre (100 butterfly), Emma Buckridge (500 freestyle), Aleisha Rouse (100 backstroke) and Jessica Charron (100 breaststroke). NFA is 1-4, 1-3.
• Jeremiah Crowley scored on the fourth play from scrimmage and finished with 18 carries for 214 yards and three touchdowns as Montville routed Bacon Academy 47-0 in the ECC Medium.
Nick Clemons threw for 103 yards and three touchdowns for Montville (2-1, 1-0). Brandon Robertson scored on catches of 49 and 11 yards and Greg Benjamin had a 17-yard touchdown catch. A.J. Fortenberry also returned an interception 37 yards.
• Olivia Delgrosso had two goals and an assist in Ledyard's 5-0 victory over New London in the ECC Medium Division. Olivia Holubecki and Lauren Scahill also scored for Ledyard (3-3, 2-1). New London is 0-5, 0-3.
• Hannah Long, Shylia Barnes and Ellen Popinchalk each had a goal in NFA's 3-0 victory over Windham that ended after one half due to the weather. NFA is 3-2, 2-2.