- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Brunswick, Maine — Cailyn Straubel had 12 kills, 10 digs and just one hitting error Saturday to lead the Connecticut College volleyball team to a 3-0 victory over Bowdoin College in the New England Small College Athletic Conference.
The Camels (11-2, 3-2), ranked fifth in New England, snapped the hosts' home winning streak at 40 matches. Game scores were 25-15, 25-14 and 25-22. The Polar Bears (12-2, 3-1) are ranked second in New England.
"We were pretty solid with our first contact today," Conn coach Josh Edmed said. "We were able to establish things in the middle which opened up our offense."
Rachel Schroff had nine kills, six digs, four assists and three aces while Caroline Martin added 17 digs and eight kills for the Camels.
In other matches:
• Coast Guard split a pair matches at the Duck Invite in Hoboken, N.J., beating Elmira 25-19, 25-22 and 25-17 while losing to tournament champion Richard Stockton in five games, 16-25, 24-26, 25-21, 25-23 and 15-10. Samantha Marmolejo made the all-tournament team for the Bears (10-8), finishing with 43 digs in the two matches.
• Amanda Garcia had a match-high 15 kills as Mitchell College beat Becker 25-19, 25-21, 25-21 in its New England Collegiate Conference opener. Arianna Thomas had eight kills, 12 assists and 11 digs for the Mariners (4-7, 1-0) and Gloria Charles added 15 assists.
• Matthew Boghan's goal in the 14th minute lifted Coast Guard Academy to its third straight win, 1-0 over Clark in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference.
Kyle Greell assisted on the play for the Bears (6-3, 3-0) while goalie Richie Burns made nine saves for his third straight shutout.
• Casey Marini had eight saves as Conn College played Bowdoin to a scoreless double overtime tie in the NESCAC. Bowdoin outshot the Camels 16-11. Conn is 2-2-3, 0-2-3.
• Elms handed Mitchell a 2-0 loss in the NECC. Goalie Ramazan Sinani made five saves for the Mariners (3-4, 1-1).
• Molly Popolizio scored her second goal in the 62nd minute to give Bowdoin a 3-2 win over Conn College in the NESCAC. Jamie Hofstetter scored for Bowdoin (6-1, 3-1). Lily Cannon and Astrid Kempainen scored for the Camels (1-5-1, 0-5).
• Liz Cumberbatch, Janelle Pasternack and Jenna Zarou all scored as Clark beat Coast Guard 3-0 in the NEWMAC. Devin Fellman had six saves for Coast Guard (1-7, 0-3).
• Brooke Phinney had four goals and an assist as Bowdoin downed Conn College 7-0 in the NESCAC. Jeannette Hoets had 12 saves for Conn (4-3, 2-3).
Women's cross country
• Mitchell College placed fifth at the Tri-State Invitational in Lincoln, R.I. Freshman Sheila Newcity of Stonington ran a season best 23 minutes, 33 seconds, to finish 19th overall and sophomore Bridget Burns took 25th in a season-best 24:19 for the Mariners.
Men's cross country
• Junior Drew Castagna of Westerly finished 20th overall in 32:04, leading Mitchell to fifth place at the Tri-State Invitational in Lincoln, R.I. Freshman Spencer Daniel was 22nd (32:51) for the Mariners.
• Darrell Everett had 125 return yards and a touchdown for St. Thomas More, which had a big day on special teams and defense in a 42-38 victory at Westminster Academy in Simsbury.
Jaleel Reed added two interceptions and a touchdown and Qadeer Morgan had a punt return for a touchdown for the Chancellors (1-1). Reggie Gaunichaux finished with 77 receiving yards, 35 yards rushing and two touchdowns and a third touchdown on an interception return.
Westminster is 0-1.
Men's water polo
• Carlos Heros scored four goals but Conn College fell short at Fordham, 12-6. Nick DiLeo and Sam Burns also scored for the Camels (1-7).