- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Montville - Mya Bell scored with 90 seconds left in the second half Friday, lifting the Norwich Free Academy girls' soccer team to a 1-0 win over St. Bernard.
It capped a wild last 10 minutes of play, which saw NFA hit the crossbar and St. Bernard fail to convert on three breakaways. Kamryn Grace had six saves for NFA (4-2-2) and Alex Santiago made five saves for St. Bernard (4-2-3).
In other games:
• Abby McAdams scored two goals in the second half to lift Montville past Windham 2-1 in the ECC Medium Division. Meghen Autencio made six saves for Montville (4-4, 2-4).
• Joanna Weir scored two goals and had two assists, leading Lyman Memorial to a 6-3 win over Ledyard in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division game. Olivia DelGrosso scored twice, Savannah Johnson had a goal and Kelly Lamb, Olivia Holubecki and Alexis Vetrano had assists for Ledyard (4-5, 3-3).
• Emily Hamilton had three goals and an assist to lead Williams School to a 4-1 victory over Lincoln (R.I.). Abby Smith also scored for the Blues (4-1-3), while Cassidy Taylor and Abby Xenelis added assists.
• Chad Ferro scored three goals as Bacon Academy reamined unbeaten with a 4-1 win over East Lyme in an ECC Large Division game.
Alec Aquino scored on a header to give East Lyme a 1-0 lead at the 20-minute mark, but Ferro tied the score with eight minutes left in the first half and gave Bacon (9-0, 5-0) the lead 17 minutes into the second half.
Tarun Prashanth and Zach Kosakowski combined for 11 saves for East Lyme (3-4-2, 0-4-1).
• Norwich Tech goalie Logan Hanes made 19 saves in a 4-0 loss to Kaynor Tech of Waterbury. Norwich Tech is 0-9.
• Goals by Ellie Bruckner and Samantha Horner lifted East Lyme to a 2-1 ECC victory over Fitch. Emilie Farrugia assisted on Bruckner's goal in the first half for the Vikings (5-2-2, 4-1-1) and Caroline Regan assisted on Horner's goal in the second half. Paige Vinson scored an unassisted goal for the Falcons (3-6, 2-4).
• Goals by Hannah Long and Ellen Popinchalk lifted NFA to a 2-1 victory over Waterford in the ECC. Alex Franchetti and Casey Worski had assists for the Wildcats (4-3, 3-3) while Karalyn Harlow scored for Waterford (4-3, 3-2).
• Waterford beat Montville 3-1, winning by game scores of 25-18, 15-25, 25-20, 26-15. Lexi Moger had eight kills, Jill Fal had seven kills and Amanda Tourjee had 24 assists for Waterford (4-6). Stephanie Jaskiewicz had eight points and three aces, Nicole Sanchez had 15 points and two aces and Taylor Penman had 14 points for Montville (4-5).
• Nora Syed had six aces and six kills to lead Old Lyme to a 25-6, 25-18 and 25-20 win over Cromwell in the Shoreline Conference.
Boys' cross country
• Aaron Pelletier led a 1-2-3-4 finish by Norwich Tech runners as the Warriors beat Fishers Island 18-41 at Mohegan Park. Pelletier won the 3.1 mile race in 18:44 and was followed by teammates Chris Plympton, Carl Feder-Craney and Mike Froscello. Tim Hoch placed fifth for Fishers Island.
• Melinda Wei won a paid of events as East Lyme stayed spotless in the ECC with a 119-62 victory over NFA.
Wei won the 200-yard IM (2:30.15) and 100 breaststroke (1:19.78) for the Vikings (7-1, 6-0) while Jessica Charron captured the 50 free (27.59) and 100 free (59.73) for NFA (2-5, 2-4).
• Ledyard won the meet's final event, the 400 freestyle relay, to beat Waterford 86-84 in the ECC.
Marguerite France, Katy Franzone, Chloe Hespeler and Jessica Hespeler won the race in 4:07.67. Jessica Hespeler also won the 200 IM (2:16.22) and the 100 freestyle (53.77) for Ledyard (3-1, 3-1) and France took the 100 butterfly (1:14.72).
Asia Langley won the 50 freestyle (25.08) and 100 backstroke (1:05.01) and chipped in on two winning relay teams for Waterford (2-5, 2-4) and Ali McDermott won the 500 freestyle (5:59.56) and 100 breaststroke (1:21.18).