Login  /  Register  | 3 premium articles left before you must register.

HUD grants to help seniors, disabled in Norwich, rest of state

Published October 10. 2012 4:00AM

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development announced Tuesday that more than $1.4 million in grants will help 529 senior citizens and persons with disabilities in Connecticut, including 50 individuals in Norwich.

The grants, which are awarded through HUD's Multifamily Housing Service Coordinator Program, will help recipients with health care, meals and other critical support services.

The Chase Manor apartment complex on Norman Road will receive $245,565 to help the elderly and disabled. The grant over a three-year period will allow Chase Manor to hire and support a service coordinator to help with the social service needs of its residents.

"These service coordinators help us connect senior citizens and those living with disabilities with the services they need to live independently," said Barbara Fields, HUD New England regional administrator. "We're getting older as a nation, and these grants go a long way toward ensuring these vulnerable populations are well served and allowed to age in place."

News by Town

Most Recent Poll
Mitt Romney and other conservatives have called for the end of government subsidies to public broadcasting. Do you think tax dollars should go to PBS and NPR?
Yes, it's a public service that enriches our lives and deepens our understanding of issues.
Yes, it's a minuscule fraction of our budget. This is a silly conservative talking point, not a real issue.
No, my tax dollars shouldn't go to paying the salaries of liberals at NPR and PBS.
No, I love public broadcasting but I think these organizations are capable of supporting themselves.
Number of votes: 1184

No current items found