- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Norwich - Megan Gada volleyed a shot from 20 yards out on the right into the upper-left corner in the 28th minute to break a 1-1 deadlock and Norwich Free Academy beat Stonington 2-1 on Tuesday in a girls' soccer match.
The Bears (8-4) took an early 1-0 lead on Gabby Silvia's goal in the 11th minute but NFA (5-2-2) tied it 13 minutes later on a goal by Sophia Formiglio.
Katherine Beasley made six saves in goal for the Wildcats, who were outshot 14-9, while Danielle Jacobs made five saves for Stonington.
In other games:
• Gabby Vernacatola scored nine minutes into the game and it held up as Old Lyme beat Valley Regional 1-0 in a Shoreline Conference game. Hannah Behringer assisted on the goal as Old Lyme (6-1-1, 5-0-1) outshot Valley 12-0.
• Meredith Moore scored twice as East Lyme beat Montville 5-0, breaking the game open with four second-half goals. Katie Christensen, Theresa Durkee and Kristen Walter also scored, Ashley Kane, Jaimee Szupiany and Sam Lee had assists and Allison Stoddard made four saves for East Lyme (7-0-2). Montville is 4-5.
• Claire Hurley scored twice on headers as Waterford beat Lyman 3-1 in a nonleague game. Megan O'Malley also scored, Melina Spanos had two assists, Christine Bueno had an assist and Julia Zawacki made seven saves for Waterford (7-0-2).
• Alyson Clarke scored a pair of goals while Beth Wallace had three assists to lead Fitch past New London 6-0. Nancy Fitzmorris, Christian Szczesny, Mynda Sebastian and Lauren Szczesny also scored goals for the Falcons (5-2-2). New London is 2-8.
• Alyssa Sampson scored a pair of goals, lifting Ledyard to a 2-0 win over Woodstock in a nonleague game. Kayla Fowler and Kelly Lamb had assists and Austin Graber made15 saves for Ledyard (4-4).
• East Lyme fell to Coventry in a nonleague match that featured two defending state champions, losing 25-22, 25-21, 25-21. Jill Bartlett had 21 assists and Emily Ennis had seven kills for East Lyme (9-2), which won the last two Class L titles. Coventry, the winner of the last six Class S titles, is 9-0 and is the top-ranked team in the state poll.
• Old Lyme beat Hale-Ray in a Shoreline Conference match, winning 25-23, 25-16, 25-15. Paige Palenski had 20 assists and Amanda Burke had 10 kills and 15 digs for Old Lyme.
• Ledyard swept Killingly 25-7, 25-10 and 25-11 in a nonleague match. Alyssa Gregory had six aces, 16 service points and two kills for the Colonels (8-4) while Michelle Klinikowski had 10 kills and setters Brianna Riley and Jenny Nohara had seven assists apiece.
• Waterford beat Griswold 3-1 in an ECC Medium Division match, winning 15-25, 25-18, 25-20, 25-23. Amanda Tourjee had 21 assists, Lexi Moger had 12 kills and Jamie Dahl had 15 digs for Waterford (5-6, 3-2).
• Ali McDermott, Meika Gathy and Asia Langley won two events each, leading Waterforfd to a 112-64 win over Windham/Lyman. McDermott won the 200 and 400 freestyles, Gathy won the 100 backstroke and 200 individual medley and Langley won the 100 freestyle and 100 breaststroke. Katherine Tsouris and Rachel Crawford also won events and Courtney Payne and Langley were each on two winning relay teams for Waterford (3-5, 3-4).
• Jessica Hespeler won two events and was on two winning relay teams, leading Ledyard to a 95-75 win over NFA in an ECC meet. Hespeler won the 200 individual medley and the 100 freestyle. Chloe Hespeler won the 50 freestyle and was on two winning relays teams along with Allison Sinnett and Katy Franzone for Ledyard (4-2, 4-2). Jessica Charron, Alison Kerr, Stephanie Lefebvre, Emma Buckridge and Kylie Gromko won events for NFA (2-6, 2-5).
H.S. boys' soccer
• New London lost to Killingly 5-2 in a nonleague game. Rafayel Wassef and Gooch Preka had goals and Wadlet Jean-Baptiste and Andres Delgadillo had assists for New London (0-9).
H.S. field hockey
• Hannah Long scored three goals to lift NFA to a 5-0 win over Woodstock. Shylia Barnes had two goals, Ellen Popinchalk had an assist and Becca Aprin made four saves for NFA (5-3).
• Nicole McComic and Karolyn Harlow scored goals as Waterford beat Killingly 2-0 in an ECC game. Becca Gregoire made eight saves for Waterford (5-3, 4-2).
• Libby Morrison scored in the first half and the goal held up as Stonington beat Fitch 1-0 in an ECC game. Annie Knizeski made one save for Stonington (6-3, 6-1) and Emma Nolan had 15 saves for Fitch (3-7, 2-5).
• Coast Guard beat Smith College in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference match, winning 25-23, 25-21, 25-23. Kelsey Deporto had 12 kills and Maggie Hine had 31 assists for Coast Guard (14-8, 4-2).