Cambridge, Mass. — Junior Matt Epperly's unassisted goal in overtime lifted the Coast Guard Academy men's soccer team past MIT, 1-0, Saturday.
The Bears (10-4-1, 4-0-1) moved into a first place tie with Babson (11-3-1, 4-0-1) in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. The two teams play for the regular season title next Saturday at Babson.
Epperly's game winner came at the 95:21 mark. It was his third goal of the season. Sophomore goalie Richie Burns anchored the defense, making three saves to earn the shutout.
In other games:
• Frank Williams had a goal and an assist to lead Mitchell College to a 4-1 win over Becker College in the New England Collegiate Conference. Williams set up a Jordan Derosier header on a corner kick in the sixth minute for the Mariners (6-6, 4-1) and scored an unassisted goal in the 43rd minute. Jason Kirby and Zach Rocheleau added second half goals for Mitchell.
• Jodi Theriault's unassisted goal in the 81st minute gave Becker College a 3-2 win over Mitchell in the NECC. Alexander Mahar and Katie McBridge scored for the Mariners (3-8, 3-4) and goalie Diamond Thomas made six saves.
• MIT erupted for three goals within a 17-minute span of the second half to overtake Coast Guard, 3-1, in the NEWMAC. Emily Marks scored on a direct kick in the 40th minute for the Bears (2-12, 0-8) and goalie Devin Fellman stopped 20 shots.
• Caroline Martin had 11 kills and 12 digs, leading Connecticut College to a 3-0 win over Coast Guard at Endicott College. The Camels, ranked No. 2 in New England Div. III, beat Endicott 3-0 for its ninth straight win. Rachel Schroff had 19 kills and Katie Ketcham had 56 assists on the two matches for Conn (18-2).
No. 11 Coast Guard (16-12) also beat Endicott 3-0. Karen Matic had 68 assists and 11 digs, Kelsey DePorto had 26 kills and Keriann Mason had 24 kills and 29 digs in the two matches for Coast Guard.
• Mitchell lost a pair of matches, dropping a 3-0 NECC decision to host Daniel Webster while losing to Gordon 3-1. Against Daniel Webester, Gloria Charles led the Mariners (6-13, 3-4) with five kills, Nicole Terni had 15 assists and Kaisea Caramante had 10 digs. In the loss the Gordon, Arianna Thomas had 22 digs and Terni had 29 assists.
• UConn senior guard Adam Masters suffered a season-ending left ankle injury during Friday night's 40-10 Big East lost to Syracuse at the Carrie Dome. Coach Paul Pasqualoni said Masters faces surgery. He will be replaced by Gus Cruz.
• Reggie Gaunichauex passed for two touchdowns and rushed for two scores in St. Thomas More's 47-27 loss to Tabor Academy (4-1). He completed 14 of 21 passes for 335 yards and had 10 carries for 72 yards. Gaunichauex threw two 85-yard touchdown passes to Jaleel Reed who finished with five receptions for 196 yards for T-More (1-4).
Women's cross country
• Conn College placed four runners in the top five to win the Plansky Invitational in Williamstown, Mass. The Camels finished with 21 points, 20 better than Williams. Ariana Beers was second in 22:03 for Conn followed by Michelle Wesley (22:03), Anna Laurence (22:06) and Nicole Adam (22:07). Emily Winter was seventh (22:07).