Connecticut Insurance Department:
Federal Emergency Management Agency:
Connecticut Bar Association Disaster Insurance Hotline:
Insurance coverage notes
• Damage caused by flooding is not covered under a standard homeowners policy. A separate flood insurance policy is required.
• Sewer and drain back-up may not be covered under a standard homeowners policy. Consumers can purchase water and sewer back-up endorsements to provide additional coverage for back-up into homes from sewer lines.
• Food spoilage caused by a power outage is not covered under all homeowners insurance policies.
• Water damage leaking into homes from roofs damaged during rain may be covered. Review policies and speak to insurance agents before filing claims.
• Policies may limit the amount of coverage provided per tree. Properties closer to the shore may contain higher wind deductibles.
Insurance claim tips
• Contact your insurer as soon as possible
• Take photos of the damage
• DO NOT make permanent repairs until your insurer has inspected the property
• Keep a diary of all contact, conversations with your insurer
• If you can still live in the home, talk with your agent about critical repairs that need to be made and save receipts for your claim.
• If you need to find other lodging, keep records of expenses and all receipts.
• Do not feel rushed or pushed to agree on a settlement. If there are disagreements, resolve them first with your insurer and then, if you cannot reach an agreement, contact the Connecticut Insurance Department.
• Your full claim may come in multiple payments. The first will likely be an emergency advance and may include additional living expenses.
• Even after settling your claim, your insurance company may make additional payments if you think of items that were not in your initial loss list.
• If your damages exceed the amount of coverage, federal agencies will occasionally provide grants or low-interest loans to assist following major disasters.
Source: Connecticut Insurance Department
SaxoConnect Ad Well
Will your kids be trick or treating on Halloween?
No current items found