Animals briefly evacuated from veterinary hospital

Dr. Cynthia Herron, right, a veterinarian at the Gales Ferry Animal Hospital, carries one of her patients, a dog recovering from surgery who had to be relocated to a different portion of the facility due to a furnace malfunction which caused an odor and set off alarms Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012. Ledyard firefighter Brian Pepin, left, and Ledyard Fire Marshal Jim Mann, center, look on.

Ledyard - Cats and dogs at the Gales Ferry Animal Hospital were briefly evacuated as Gales Ferry firefighters investigated a report of smoke in the building.

Fire Chief Tony Saccone said when firefighters arrived there was no smoke but a strong odor in the building. Employees had reported that alarms were going off.

Saccone said the odor was caused by a furnace malfunction.

The animals were relocated to a side room on the right side of the building. The hospital's doctor declined comment, but employees said all the animals were fine, including one that was in the process of being spayed.

The call was reported at 9:59 a.m. and at about 10:35 a.m. the animals - a half-dozen cats in crates and several dogs were allowed to reenter the building.

In addition to Gales Ferry, Ledyard Animal Control, Ledyard and Submarine Base fire departments also responded.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments