House fills with smoke; tenants treated

Firefighters respond to a fire on Elm St. in Stonington Boro Monday, December 17, 2012.

Stonington — A suspected hole in a chimney filled a home in the borough at 18 Elm St. with smoke.

Two people were taken to the Pequot Health Center to be checked for possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Another tenant was being checked at the scene.

Fire Chief Jeff Hoadley said when fire crews arrived at the scene smoke was coming out of the eaves. The incident was reported at 8:32 a.m.

Hoadley said there was no fire, but plenty of smoke in the home. Crews could be seen bringing fans inside the multifamily home to clear the smoke.

Hoadley said there were some issues with the furnace that would have to be checked out as well.

Four people lived in the two apartments in the house. Hoadley said the American Red Cross was called in to assist the residents because they would not be able to stay at the home.

He said some walls were torn down to check for fire and more walls would have to be torn down since the chimney is inside the wall.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments