- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Keith Porter scored a school record 56 points Tuesday night as New London High School beat Fitch, 78-64, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division boys' basketball game.
Porter, a senior, also scored his 1,000th point for the Whalers (6-3, 3-1).
Allan Chaney previously held the record for New London. He scored 55 points in a 103-64 win over Plainfield on Feb. 23, 2008.
Aaron Hill (28 points) and Devonte Anderson (15 points) both scored career highs for the Falcons (2-7, 1-3).
In other games:
• Jackson Donahue scored his 1,000th career point on a 3-pointer with 30 seconds left in overtime while scoring the game's final seven points as Stonington outlasted Plainfield, 75-72.
Donahue had 30 points, nine rebounds, six assists and two steals for the Bears (6-3) and Willie Harris had 15 points and six rebounds.
Will Robinson had 20 points for the Panthers (5-3) and John John Esparrago scored 16.
• Bacon Academy led by 18 points at halftime and rolled to an 89-52 victory over East Lyme in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division. Wade McNamara scored 24 points for the Vikings (1-8, 0-4), including three 3-pointers.
• Unbeaten Woodstock Academy, ranked No. 9 in the latest New Haven Register state poll, scored the game's first 12 points and cruised past Norwich Free Academy, 48-31, in the ECC Large Division. The Centaurs led 17-3 after one quarter and 28-10 at halfime. NFA is 5-3, 2-2.
• Jordan Hamler scored 21 points to lead Waterford past St. Bernard, 70-63. Donny Craig had 15 points for Waterford (5-3) and Connor Lewis added 11 points. Brian Harper had 15 points for the Saints (4-3) and Phil Jenkins had 14 points.
• Khary Childs and Darnay Gray scored 18 points each as Ledyard beat Griswold 88-37. Thomas Whipple had eight points, 10 assists and five rebounds, Phyllip Thomas scored 15 and Kensy Desir had 10 points for Ledyard (8-1), which led 39-8 after one quarter.
• Montville scored 41 points in the first half and cruised past Wheeler, 72-49. Nick Clemons scored 20 points to lead the Indians (3-5), Dominic Walmsley added 17 (he made four 3-pointers) and Buddy Dewaine had 13. Troy Stefanski scored 15 points and Jacob Raggon 11 for the Lions (2-6).