- Living Their Faith
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Montville - Cassidy Bundy had 23 points and 14 rebounds and Jamie Hill scored 16 points as Montville High School edged Westerly on Thursday, 61-58, in a nonleague girls' basketball game.
Meghan Autencio had 11 points and 10 rebounds for Montville (8-2) and Rachael Orbe added seven points and 10 rebounds. Westerly is 8-2.
• Richard Kennedy had 18 points as Hamden upset New London, 63-49. Hamden is 2-6. Keith Porter scored 17 for the Whalers (6-4) and Collin Sawyer had 15 points. Also, Seth Lake scored 10.
• George Logan had 20 points to lead Old Lyme past Coginchaug, 58-52, in the Shoreline Conference. Matt Fuller had 16 points for Old Lyme (7-2) and Andrew Tyrol scored 11.
• Kaitlin Ward had nine points, nine rebounds, four assists and two steals to lead Coast Guard Academy to a 53-48 victory over Springfield in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference.
The Bears (5-7, 3-4) snapped a nine-game losing streak to the Pride (2-11, 0-7) dating back to 2008. Lara Brown and Victoria Sutherland led Coast Guard with 10 points apiece while East Lyme's Emily Walker had four points, five rebounds and the blocks for Springfield.
• Mitchell College rallied back against Elms College but fell just short, 54-53, in New England Collegiate Conference action. Kate Mulloy had 15 points and nine rebounds while Diamond Thomas and Kaylee Cerruto each contributed 12 points for the Mariners (1-9, 1-3). Freshman Dazjavia Williams added in eight rebounds and four steals.
• James Burke scored a career-high 24 points to lead MIT to an 83-45 win over Coast Guard in the NEWMAC. MIT (11-3, 2-1) shot 70 percent from the floor and made 10 of 14 3-point attempts. Jimmy Knudsen led Coast Guard (1-11, 0-3) with 13 points while freshman Ryan McNeil added 10.
• Mitchell suffered an 81-66 setback to Elms in the NECC. Joshua Ford led the Mariners (5-6, 1-2) with a game-high 21 points and freshman Devonta Mosley had 12.
• Anthony Occhialini, a Montville graduate who was The Day's All-Area Player of the Year in 2008 and a four-year starter in goal at Central Connecticut, recently took part in the 2013 Pro Soccer Combine in Branden, Fla.
The top college players in the country are invited to the combine, where MLS and pro soccer coaches evaluate all of the players in camp. The group included 40 goalies, but when the combine concluded, Occhialini was selected to the Pro Soccer Combine All-Star team, which was scheduled to play the U.S. Men's U17 National team in an exhibition Thursday night.
• Aidan Karam won two individual parts and was part of two winning relay teams as Norwich Free Academy defeated Granby Memorial 107-63 and Williams School 99-71 at Foxwoods. Karam won the 200 freestyle (1:54.75) and 100 backstroke (1:03.52) for the Wildcats (4-4) while the Blues' Caius Mergy won the 200 IM and 100 breaststroke.