- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Norwich - The Norwich Free Academy wrestling team won four matches by pin en route to a 48-24 win over Waterford in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division match Wednesday.
Abner Lugo Del Torro (170 pounds), Khaleed Exum-Strong (182), Aaron Hebert (220) and Joey Ballestrini (138) had pins for NFA (12-9, 3-1), which also received three forfeits and got wins from James Tramontozzi (120), Tyler Courter (145) and Patrick Mahoney-Balestracci (152).
Nico Randolph (126) and Sam Lindblom (132) had pins for Waterford (7-11, 2-1) and Dylan McCarthy (160) and Brentt Smith (113) also had wins.
In another match:
• Jorge Bracket (182), Corey Levesque (132) and Kareem Small (120) posted pins in East Lyme's 50-27 win over Fitch in the ECC Large Division.
Mason Pagan won by decision (15-0) at 138 and Demetri Gharadi won by decision (9-8) at 152 for the Vikings (2-16, 1-3).
Jordan Kenyon (160), Bryan Brown (113) and Scott Kydd (126) posted pins for the Falcons (5-16, 0-5). Sean Blais (170) won by decision, 6-2.
• Hyde-Woodstock outscored the Williams School by 14 in the second half and went on to a 48-27 win. Marion Philippe scored 17 and had four rebounds and three blocked shots for Williams (2-6).
Girls' indoor track
• NFA's Brianna Lenehan set a school record in the 1,000-meter run (2:53.64) Tuesday at the Jack Long Invitational in New Haven. Lenehan's time is third in the country, and she broke the school record set by Cassy Hunter in 2009 (2:56.96).
NFA's Dyshelle Pemberton broke the school record in the 300 meters Saturday at the Dartmouth Relays. Her 40.64 beat the 42.18 by Christa Parent in 2000.
• Chenoa Sebastian took first in 8.88 seconds in the 55 hurdles and second in the 300 (45.21), leading Ledyard to first in its division Tuesday at the Jack Long Invitational. The Colonels had 61 points. Sebastian also joined Brooke Scahill, Savannah Johnsno and Alex Lee on the 4x200 relay team that placed second in 1:54.84.
In the pole vault, Samantha Grabbe was second (9-0) and Cassy Coates was fourth. Grabbe also joined Austin Graber, Carly Loy and Jordan Houdeshell on the sprint medley relay team that placed third in 3:55.85.
Other Ledyard finishers: Houdeshell, sixth (3:30.49), 1,000; Scahill, fourth (1:51.64), 600; Madison Canestrari, fourth (4-6), high jump; Johnson, third (15-6), long jump.
Boys' indoor track
• The 4x200 relay team of Joseph Carter, Alex Paterson, Steven Servedio and Alex Hintz-Valdez finished first (1:33.51) to help Ledyard win its division at the Jack Long Invitational Tuesday night at the Floyd Little Athletic Center. The Colonels scored 92 points.
Jeremy Hintz-Valdez and Nick LoBianco tied for first in the pole vault at 11-0. Ryan Johnson took fourth at 9-6.
Carter placed in two individual events, winning the 300 (36.00) and finishing second in the 55 dash (6.74).
Other Ledyard finishers: Anthony Saccone, 2nd (8.44), 55 hurdles; Paterson, fifth (6.84), 55 dash, and second (36.99), 300; Kyle Wilson, fourth (43-2), shot put; Servedio, third (19-6), long jump; Kevin McCarthy, second (5-4), high jump; Michael Lopes, fourth (5-2), high jump.