- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Chad Fleming, Fitch High School's first-year boys' basketball coach, was dismissed effective immediately, athletic director Marc Romano confirmed Tuesday night.
"It was an administrative decision," said Romano, who declined further comment because it was personnel issue.
Junior varsity coach Ryan Magee will serve as interim head coach the rest of the season, Romano said.
The Falcons, 3-10 overall and 2-4 in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division, play at division leader Woodstock Academy tonight.
Fleming, when reached for comment Tuesday night, said: "I'm very disappointed with the way things turned out. It's unfortunate, but I wish the kids in the program nothing but the best in moving forward."
Fleming is the second ECC head coach to be replaced in the middle of the season. Stonington boys' coach Tim Payne resigned on Jan. 16 and was replaced by Kevin Dipollino on an interim basis for the rest of the season.
In games Tuesday night:
• Keith Porter had 22 points and 13 rebounds, leading New London past Bacon Academy 72-66 in the ECC Large Division. The Whalers (9-6, 5-2) carried a four-point lead into the fourth quarter and made free throws down the stretch to close out the win. Josh Maynard had 14 points while Collin Sawyer had 11 points and DeAnte Bruton had 12 for New London.
• Thomas Whipple had 23 points and five assists while Darnay Gray added 16 points and nine rebounds in Ledyard's 98-35 win over Montville in the ECC Medium Division. The Colonels improved to 13-1, 7-0. Buddy Dewaine led Montville (4-10, 1-6) with 10 points.
• Marcus Outlow, Denzel Lancaster and Ryan Lusk each scored 11 points in Norwich Free Academy's 59-35 win over East Lyme in the ECC Large. The Wildcats are 9-5, 4-3. Wade McNamara had 13 points for the Vikings (3-12, 0-7).
• George Logan scored 20 as Old Lyme beat Westbrook 51-48 in the Shoreline Conference. Matti Fuller had 11 points for Old Lyme (10-3) and Andrew Tyrol added 10 points.
• Keavon Stafford had 28 points as Tourtellotte beat Wheeler 72-46 in the ECC Small. Troy Stefanski had 15 points, Jacob Raggon had 12 points and Michael Dellaporta added 10 points for Wheeler (2-12, 0-7).
• Kendall Marquez scored 30 points to power Windham past Stonington 93-74 in the ECC Medium. Jackson Donahue had 32 points and Willie Harris added 15 for the Bears (8-6, 3-4).
• A.J. Allard had 18 points as Griswold beat St. Bernard 61-48 in the ECC Small. Kevin Kersey had 11 points for the Saints (8-7, 5-2).