- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Waterford - The third-ranked Ledyard High School wrestling team, on the strength of eight pins, completed the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division regular season undefeated, beating Waterford 63-13 Wednesday night.
Devon MarcAurele (120 pounds), Justin Timberlake (138), Nick Lauer (145), Brandon Finney (152), Caile Johnson (160), Colin Grim (182), Kyle Perry (195) and Ben Morales (220) all had pins for Ledyard (17-1, 6-0) and teammate Mike Graff won by major decision at 126.
Noah Concascia (106) won by pin and Brentt Smith (113) won by major decision for Waterford (14-15, 3-3).
In other matches:
• Norwich Free Academy won the last four matches of the night to come from behind for a 40-33 victory over Bacon Academy in the teams' final ECC Large Division match of the season. NFA trailed 33-22 going into the 106-pound weight class, when Jacob Martin won a key 7-5 decision in overtime to start the comeback. Cody Poirier followed with a 6-4 decision and Tyler Way and Joey Mahoney Ballestraci finished with pins. Adding pins for the Wildcats (17-11, 5-1) were Tyler Courter and Abner Lugo Del Toro.
• McKenzie Mahn won a key match at at 182 pounds, helping lift Montville to a 38-33 victory over Griswold in the ECC. Zach Looney (108) and Joe Rainville (112) won by major decision, also "must wins" in the match, according to Montville coach Gary Wilcox. Jacob Schmalz added a pin for Montville (14-2, 5-1), while Tommy Wynosky and Pat Bogan added decisions.
• New London beat Lyman Memorial-Windham Tech 47-21 in an ECC Small Division match. Matthew Strollo (120), Harley Jean-Jacques (160) and Greg Kohler (170) had pins and Mike Commander (128) and Sri Louis (145) won by technical fall for New London (12-7, 4-2).
• St. Bernard-Norwich Tech-Wheeler earned pins in five straight matches and topped Fitch 45-25. Matt Dowler (113), Danny Fields (120), Mario Lin (126), Carl Feder-Craney (132) and Victor Calle (138) staked St. Bernard to a big lead with pins. Justin Keating (152) added a pin for the Saints (4-17) and John Gannon (160) won by decision. Jordan Kenyon had a pin at 170 for Fitch (5-22).
• Anthomy Ramos (113) and Kareem Smalls (120) won on first period pins in East Lyme's 48-24 loss to Woodstock Academy in the ECC Large Division. Andrew Lorah and TJ Hillyer added pins for East Lyme (2-26, 1-5).
• Hand's Sam LaFontaine scored the game-winning goal in the third period in a 2-1 victory over St. Bernard-NFA-Bacon Academy. St. Bernard tied the game earlier in the period on a goal by Danny Terracciano assisted by Joey Mitchell. Evan Callahan had 29 saves for St. Bernard (5-8). Hand is 6-4-3.
• Coast Guard Academy pulled within five with a 10-2 run in the second half, but Springfield responded and held on for a 58-45 victory behind 18 points from Alex Berthiaume.
Springfield jumped out to a 7-0 lead in the first three minutes and never trailed, improving to 15-6 overall and 6-2 in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. Coast Guard is 1-17 overall and 0-8 in league.
Senior Greg Marshall led Coast Guard with 15 points, bringing him within 15 points of becoming the 19th player in program history to score 1,000 career points. Jimmy Knudsen added nine points and six rebounds.
• MIT went on a 21-5 run to close the first half and held on to beat Coast Guard Academy 62-47 in the NEWMAC. After falling behind 19-9 at the 9:28 mark of the first half, MIT clamped down on defense and held Coast Guard to just 3-for-14 shooting to close the half.
Victoria Sutherland finished with 11 points for Coast Guard (7-11, 5-8) and Kaitlin Ward added 10 points, four rebounds and two assists. MIT is 8-11, 4-9.