Residents, dog escape as fire destroys Gales Ferry home

Firefighters from the Ledyard and Gales Ferry fire departments on Sunday extinguish the smoldering remains of a home at 12 Nutmeg Drive in Gales Ferry. The fire started shortly before midnight Saturday.
Firefighters from the Ledyard and Gales Ferry fire departments on Sunday extinguish the smoldering remains of a home at 12 Nutmeg Drive in Gales Ferry. The fire started shortly before midnight Saturday. Tim Martin/The Day

Ledyard - A 2½-story house in Gales Ferry burned to the ground late Saturday night, but the three adults and a dog who were inside escaped without injury. A cat, however, perished.

Two young boys who also live there were not home.

All that is left of the wood-framed house at 12 Nutmeg Drive is two pieces of a wall and a chimney, said Fire Marshal Jim Mann.

The couple that lives in the house made it out and called in the fire at 11:50 p.m. from their cellphone, Mann said.

The cause of the fire is under investigation, he said.

The house is at the top of hill and there are no fire hydrants in the area, he said.

"We got up there. We had to do a lot of maneuvering,'' to bring tanker trucks and water to the scene.

The American Red Cross assisted the family, which is staying with friends.

Firefighters from the Ledyard and Gales Ferry fire departments remain on the scene Sunday, spraying water on the smoldering remains of a home at 12 Nutmeg Drive in Gales Ferry. The house was destroyed by a fire that began late Saturday.
Firefighters from the Ledyard and Gales Ferry fire departments remain on the scene Sunday, spraying water on the smoldering remains of a home at 12 Nutmeg Drive in Gales Ferry. The house was destroyed by a fire that began late Saturday. Tim Martin/The Day
Hide Comments

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments