- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London — City firefighters this morning quickly extinguished a fire on the roof at the under-construction Nathan Hale Magnet Elementary School for Performing and Visual Arts.
Mayor Daryl Justin Finizio said a construction worker using a saw ignited insulation in the ceiling directly above the gym. Finizio said an 8-by-8 foot section of the roof was damaged. The fire was reported at around 9:15 a.m.
Construction workers had initially put out the fire, but firefighters had to rip through the insulation to ensure that it did not spread across the roof. Firefighters used a ladder truck to inspect the roof.
“The damage is minimal,” said Finizio. “The fast response from our department prevented the fire from becoming much worse.”
No injuries were reported.
The Submarine Base FAST team also responded to the scene.
Nathan Hale is scheduled to be finished by the fall 2013.