- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Milford (AP) - Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Monday he expects the state of Connecticut will soon begin collecting applications for federal financial assistance from homeowners and small business affected by last year's Superstorm Sandy.
Appearing with Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan at Silver Sands State Park in Milford, Malloy said the state will begin the process of deciding how to dole out the $72 million in federal aid no later than Sept. 1.
"We stand here today, only 10 months after the storm hit our shores. I toured this area. I toured areas up and down the shore of Connecticut, as many of you know because some of you walked the beaches with me," Malloy said. "We return today because there is more work to be done, particularly in this neighborhood."
HUD approved the state's storm relief package several weeks ago. The largest portion of the funds, about $30 million, is expected to help homeowners repair damage from last October's massive storm. About $26 million will be spent on rehabilitating and rebuilding low- and moderate-income multi-family homes. Also, about $4 million is set aside for businesses, $2.2 million for public buildings and $2 million for planning needs.
Milford was one of the shoreline towns hit hard by Sandy. In some locations, there are still homes devastated by the storm. Donovan also toured storm recovery efforts at a Norwalk public housing complex.