Local roundup: East Lyme relay team sets record in win over Ledyard/Stonington
East Lyme - The East Lyme High School boys' swimming team broke a five-year-old pool record Wednesday en route to a 98-74 win over Ledyard-Stonington in an Eastern Connecticut conference meet.
The record was set in the 400-yard freestyle relay by the team of Adam Opsahl, Billy Dumais, Sam Magna and Kyle Burke. Their time of 3:24.82 topped the 2006 mark of 3:31.43. Burke also won the 500 freestyle and the 100 freestyle.
Also winning events for East Lyme (12-1, 10-1) were Clayton Otter, Joe Gada, Dumais and Opsahl. Gabrielle Fabian, Emily Rubin and Michael Hughes won events for Ledyard-Stonington (6-6, 5-6).
In other meets:
• Tyler Gromko and Justin Paz each won two events and were part of two winning relay teams as NFA beat Windham-RHAM 92-87. Gromko won the 200 and 500 freestyles and Paz won the 200 individual medley and the 100 butterfly for NFA (4-9, 3-8). Greg Husta won two events for Windham-RHAM (4-9, 4-7).
• The Williams School boys won the CISAC title Wednesday behind two first-place finishes from Matt Mooers, who won the 50 and 100 freestyles. Caius Mergy won the 100 breatstroke and Adam Collins won the 200 freestyle for Williams.
The Blues also won three relays: the 200 medley with Ege Izmirli, Mergy, Anton Gudz and Peter Harsh; the 200 freestyle with Harsh, Gudz, Mooers and Collins; and the 400 freestyle with Harsh, Mergy, Mooers and Collins. Mooers and Collins both set personal bests in the 100 freestyle.
Josh Goldstein (100 backstroke), Gudz (100 butterfly), Mergy (200 individual medley), Collins (100 freestyle) and Izmirli (100 breaststroke) had second-place finishes. Izmirli (200 IM) and Harsh (50 freestyle) had third-place finishes along with the 200 medley relay team of Goldstein, Patrick Madaus, Kameal Kalkhoran, Sam Buffum and the 400 freestyle relay team of Gidz, Buffum, Izmirli and John Ramatowski.
• The Williams School girls finished third at the CISAC championships Wednesday as Andrea Goldstein won the 200 and 500 freestyles.
Freshman Samantha Linhares set personal bests in the 100 breaststroke (winning in 1:17.81) and the 200 IM (third at 2:33.35). Catie Beggins was third in the 100 backstroke and teamed with Linhares, Lili Goldberg and Goldstein to finish second in the 400 freestyle relay. Beggins, Linhares, Abbie Connaughty and Goldstein were third in the 200 medley relay.
College men's basketball
• Adam Jones scored 19 points to help lead St. Thomas More to a 78-51 win over Worcester Academy. Indiana Faithfull had 10 points, eight rebounds and five assists, Roy Mabrey scored 13, Jarell Byrd had 11 points and eight rebounds and Andre Drummond had 10 rebounds for T-More (24-6).
• Jevon Williams scored 24 points to lead UConn-Avery Point to a 62-57 win over Quinsigamond. Stephen Bailey had 14 points and Nolan LoRicco scored 10 for the Pointers (3-18).
• Waterford's Montara Tomasetti had an all-around score of 36.25 for Valley Regional in a meet against Haddam-Killingworth. She scored 9.1 in the vault, 8.8 on the bars, 9.25 on the beam and 9.0 on the floor.
• Rocky Hill-RHAM-Middletown jumped out to a 6-0 lead and went on to beat Fitch-East Lyme-Ledyard 7-1 Wednesday night. Peter Gonski scored and Alden Burns made 27 saves for FEL (0-14).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES