- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Tropical Storm Irene and New London's whale tail fountain topped our list of the most-read stories on theday.com in 2011.
1. NL's whale fountain shut off for sanitary reasons - June 6, 2011
The city turned off the water at the new whale tail fountain after someone reportedly defecated in the water.
2. Major UConn donor demands return of $3 million - Jan. 26, 2011
Donor Robert G. Burton cites disagreements with athletic director and a desire to be consulted about the new football coach; he also wants his name removed from the football complex.
3. Power outages remain widespread; impact town by town - Aug. 30, 2011
Frustration grows as residents remain without power after Tropical Storm Irene.
4. Fountain incident puts spotlight on homeless issue - June 8, 2011
Cameras and more police presence are planned on the New London Parade after the whale tail fountain incident. Residents and city officials debate what to do about the homeless population.
5. Police identify Groton City police officer found dead at station - June 6, 2011
The Groton police chief confirmed that Lt. Thomas Forbes was the officer who was found dead in his office.
6. Groton Guard detachment is heading to Egypt - Jan. 24, 2011
Connecticut National Guard Detachment 2, Company I, 185th Aviation Regiment of Groton has mobilized and will deploy to the Sinai Peninsula, Egypt, to support the Multinational Force and Observers.
7. Two die in Route 184 crash - May 23, 2011
Two men were killed after the motorcycle they were riding crashed on Route 184 near the North Stonington town line.
8. Pfizer laying off 1,100 locally as it cuts R&D expenses - Feb. 1, 2011
Pfizer Inc. will reduce its workforce in the region by 1,100 people over the next year and a half as its Groton campus shifts from a drug-discovery site to a support center for research and development.
9. Bomb squad blows up suspicious package in New London; streets reopening - May 10, 2011
The state police bomb squad blew up a suspicious package that had been found near the Greyhound bus station in New London.
10. Complaint: CL&P crews not working fast enough - Aug. 31, 2011
Residents and town officials were not happy with Connecticut Light & Power's efforts to restore power to the region after Tropical Storm Irene.