- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Waterford — Nolan Long pitched six innings and struck out 11 Monday as the Waterford High School baseball team opened its season with a 6-1 victory over Fitch in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division.
Long allowed an unearned run.
Seth Hoagland had three hits for the Lancers (1-0, 1-0) and Jordan Hamler went 2-for-3, including an RBI double.
Shawn Nadeau tripled for Fitch (1-2, 0-1).
In other games:
• Kiki Santiago went 4-for-4 with a home run and three RBI and Gabriel Diaz had three hits and three runs scored as New London outlasted Norwich Free Academy, 11-10, in the ECC Large.
Reynaldo Sierra homered and drove in three runs for the Whalers (2-0, 1-0) and was the winning pitcher. Joey Paparelli homered and doubled for NFA (1-2, 0-1).
• Tre Gonzalez pitched a one-hit shutout and Montville blanked Bacon Academy, 4-0, in the ECC Medium Division. Gonzalez struck out eight and walked two.
Max Hart, Nick Kinder and Brandon Haas had three hits apiece for the Indians (3-0, 1-0). Ed McMahon spoiled a no-bit bid with a double in the sixth inning for Bacon (0-1, 0-1).
• Pete Gonski and Cole Tretter combined on a three-hitter and East Lyme edged Woodstock Academy, 4-3, in an ECC Large Division game played at Dodd Stadium in Norwich.
Justin Briasco's RBI single in the fourth scored Matt Binaco from third for the winning run. Alex Vidakovich had two hits for the Vikings (2-1, 1-0).
• Doug Domnarski pitched a complete game, allowing just two hits while striking out eight, in Stonington's 7-1 win over Ledyard in the ECC Medium Division.
Luke Foster had a single, double and two runs scored for the Bears (2-1, 1-0). Jordan Kowalski had a single and scored a run for the Colonels (1-1, 0-1).
• Casey Szuba allowed two hits over six innings as Lyman Memorial defeated Tourtellotte, 12-1 in the ECC Small Division.
Ben Strenkowski had two hits and scored two runs for the Bulldogs (3-0, 1-0) and Keith Chamberlain had two hits.
• Tim Martineck doubled in Griswold's 3-1 loss to Plainfield in the ECC Small Division. The Wolverines are 2-2, 1-1.
• Slater Gregory pitched a complete-game five-hitter and Old Lyme stayed unbeaten with a 7-3 win over Portland in the Shoreline Conference. Brendan Johnson and Nick Bellas had two hits apiece, Dylan Sheffield had two doubles and two RBI and Phil Cohen had a two-run double for the Wildcats (3-0).
• Leadoff hitter Justin Beal went 4-for-5 and drove in four runs to lead Old Saybrook to its first win, a 10-5 victory over Valley Regional in the Shoreline Conference.
Beal hit a two-run triple during a four-run fourth inning that turned a 3-2 deficit into a 6-3 lead for the Rams (1-2, 1-2). Winning pitcher Alex Cabral, Jake Gadon and Jon Condulis each added two hits for Old Saybrook.
• Eddie Martinez went 2-for-3 with three RBI and two runs scored in Norwich Tech's 7-6 loss to Putnam.
Mike McKeon had two hits and two RBI and Matt Derosier had a single and double for the Warriors (0-3).