H.S. softball: Bacon nips NFA in ECC Large debut
Colchester - Alicia White and Kelsey McCarthy had two hits and scored two runs apiece Tuesday and Makaila Kowalsky homered for Bacon Academy, a 6-5 winner over Norwich Free Academy in Bacon's first game competing in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division.
Melissa Castillo and Emily Arico were each 2-for-3 with an RBI for NFA (0-3, 0-1), which took the lead with a run in the top of the first inning.
Bacon (2-0, 1-0) scored three times in the bottom of the inning and added two in the third to lead 5-1. Pitcher Heather Norris (2-0) earned the win.
In other games:
• Seventh-ranked Waterford scored five times in the first inning, including a two-run homer by Katelyn Haff, and went on to beat Fitch 6-3 in the ECC Large Division.
Fitch (1-1, 0-1) led 2-0 in the top of the first on a walk to leadoff hitter Alana Luzzio and a two-out home run by Bridget Thomson. Haff's homer highlighted the bottom of the inning, in addition to an RBI single by winning pitcher Kelli Connors and a two-run single by Christine Hadfield. Hadfield also had a sacrifice fly in the fifth inning to drive in the final run for the Lancers (3-0, 1-0).
Alyssa Hancock added two hits in the victory. Connors allowed five hits, striking out three and walking six.
• Ally Curioso's two-run double highlighted a seven-run first inning as Stonington defeated Ledyard 9-1 in the ECC Medium Division. Curioso and Katie Headley each had three hits for the Bears (3-0, 1-0) and Julie Royer had two hits and two RBI. Andrea Chiaradio pitched a three-hitter with 13 strikeouts for the victory, allowing an unearned run in the sixth inning. Ledyard is 1-2, 0-2.
• Winning pitcher Anna Salvatore allowed three hits and struck out six, leading East Lyme to a 18-3 victory over Woodstock in an ECC Large Division game shortened by the mercy rule. Sarah Bond went 3-for-3 with two doubles and four RBI and Emily Passman had three hits and scored two runs. The Vikings are 3-0, 1-0.
• Kirsten Drobiak pitched a one-hit shutout and went 4-for-4 with a double as Griswold defeated New London 13-0 in the ECC Medium Division. Taylor Dansereau added three triples and four RBI for the Wolverines (3-0, 1-0) and Samantha Rentz homered. New London's Aisha Correa broke up Drobiak's no-hitter with a two-out single in the bottom of the fifth. The Whalers are 1-1, 0-1.
• Rivkah Berkman pitched a two-hitter with 10 strikeouts as St. Bernard defeated Wheeler, 8-0, in the ECC Small Division. Berkman also had three hits and three RBI and Gretchen Greene had two hits and two RBI for the Saints (4-0, 1-0). Melissa Halloran also had two RBI. Wheeler is 1-2, 0-1.
• Emily Vigue struck out 10 and earned her first win of the year as Lyman Memorial defeated Tourtellotte, 10-1, in the ECC Small Division. Haley McCall and Mikayla Luft scored three runs apiece for Lyman (1-2, 1-0) and Tori Lussier had two RBI.
• Shelby Grauer, Sarah Majewski and Emily Lively each had four hits for Holy Family in a 22-15 victory over Prince Tech. Majewski had a double, a home run and seven RBI for Holy Family (2-0), which finished with 20 hits. Lively had a double, two triples, four RBI and four runs scored.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES