- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Jon Mewha pitched a one-hitter and scored the game's only run Friday as Fitch beat Lyman Memorial 1-0 in a nonleague baseball game.
Mewha (4-0) struck out one with one walk, pitching his second straight complete game. Mewha, a senior, has not given up a run in his four starts this season (26 innings).
Mewha was hit by a pitch in the fifth inning and later came around to score on a sacrifice fly by Chris Corum-Giles to give Fitch (9-2) the only run it would need. Chris Gonnelli pitched a one-hitter with four strikeouts and one walk for Lyman (5-5).
In other games:
• Corey Wilcox scattered three hits over six innings and struck out seven as Montville remained unbeaten in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division with an 11-0 win over Ledyard.
Wilcox also went 2-for-3, scored twice and drove in a run for the Indians (9-2, 4-0), while Max Hart for 2-for-4 with two runs and three RBI and Jordan Volpe also had two hits. Ledyard is 3-6, 0-4.
• Brandon Deveny stole home with two outs in the sixth inning to lift NFA past Plainfield, 4-3, in a nonleague game.
Chance Gendron went 2-for-2, including a solo home run, and had two RBI and reliever Niles Browning earned the win for the Wildcats (5-6).
• New London scored the winning run on a wild pitch in the eighth inning to beat Wheeler, 5-4. Louis Sanchez had a double and single for the Whalers (5-4) and Nova Crespo's sacrifice fly in the seventh forced extra innings. Nate Storey had two doubles and scored three runs for the Lions (0-9).
• Cole Tretter pitched a six-hitter, leading East Lyme to a 7-3 win over Tourtellotte in a nonleague game. Tretter struck out six with two walks. Zack Kane singled and doubled and Connor Elliott drove in two runs for East Lyme (9-2).
• Pat Coan went 3-for-4 with an RBI to lead Stonington past Windham, 7-5, in the ECC Medium. Dylan Cassell pitched three innings in relief to earn the win and added an RBI double for the Bears (8-3, 4-0).
• Winning pitcher Drew Pelland struck out eight in five innings and Jake Gironimi had a double and two RBI in Grasso Tech's 6-3 win over Putnam in the Constitution State Conference. Duane Shea went 3-for-4 with an RBI for the Eagles (2-7, 2-6).
• Matt Pryzbysz had two singles and an RBI in Old Lyme's 3-1 win over Morgan in the Shoreline Conference. Slater Gregory went the distance and added an RBI double and Nick Bellas added two singles for the Wildcats (6-5, 5-5).
• Mike Clapsaddle pitched a five-hitter, striking out five and walking two, in Norwich Tech's 18-1 win over University/Classical of Hartford. Sam Blanchette went 3-for-3 with three RBI and Bryce Bedard had two hits and four RBI for the Warriors (5-6).