- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
North Stonington — Kayla Collins scored the winning run on a passed ball in the sixth inning Friday and the Wheeler High School softball team edged St. Bernard 2-1 in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division.
Winning pitcher Summer Cipriani allowed seven hits and struck out 11 for the Lions (6-7, 3-3).
Melissa Halloran and Kiely Smith had two hits apiece for St. Bernard (7-7, 3-3).
In other games:
• Heather Norris pitched a complete-game, four-hitter as Bacon Academy blanked Norwich Free Academy 4-0 in the ECC Large Division. Allison Lindsay had two hits and two RBI and Sam Psanis had two hits for Bacon (10-2, 4-2). Emily Devito tripled twice for NFA (6-8, 1-5).
• Andrea Chiaradio struck out 12 and pitched a one-hitter, leading Stonington to a 7-0 win over Ledyard in the ECC Medium Division. Chiaradio and Julie Royer had two hits apiece for Stonington (11-2, 5-1). Lindsey Reinhart had the only hit for Ledyard (7-6, 3-3).
• Kirsten Drobiak pitched a two-hit shutout and Griswold defeated New London 15-0 in an ECC Medium Division game called after five innings because of the mercy rule. Drobiak also had two hits. Samantha Rentz went 3-for-4, with two runs scored and an RBI while Kaitlyn Niles had three hits, three runs scored and three RBI for Griswold (12-2, 6-0). New London is 3-9, 0-6.
• Woodstock Academy scored three runs in the top of the seventh inning, using three hits and three East Lyme errors to post a 6-4 victory in the ECC Large Division. Emily Passman and Paige Palmieri had two hits apiece for East Lyme. The Vikings (8-5, 3-3) had taken the lead in the bottom of the sixth inning on a triple by Sydney Swanson and an RBI single by Passman.
• Tori Lussier had four doubles and four RBI as Lyman Memorial blanked Tourtellotte 14-0 in the ECC Small Division. Haley McCall had three hits - including the 100th of her career, a double in the second inning - to go with three runs scored and an RBI for Lyman (8-4, 6-0).
• Kelsey Root had two hits for Old Saybrook in a 6-0 loss to North Branford. Laura MacLeod added a double for the Rams (6-7).