Stonington - The Stonington High School girls' tennis team won three of the singles matches and held on to beat No. 6 Valley Regional 4-3 Wednesday in the quarterfinals of the CIAC Class S tournament.
Annika Burgess, Chloe Slater and Molly Kam won their matches for the No. 3 Bears (18-0), as did the No. 1 doubles team of Abby Volk and Lauren Valenti. Stonington is at No. 2 Nonnewaug of Woodbury in a semifinal at 3 p.m. today.
In other matches:
• Top-ranked East Lyme beat No. 8 Ellington 5-2 in the quarterfinals of the Class M tournament.
Sophia Shi, Sherry Yang and Melinda Li won singles matches for East Lyme (17-0) and the teams of Liz Miller-Katherine Wu and Sagune Sakya-Caroline Costa also won for the Vikings.
East Lyme is at home at 3 p.m. today against No. 5 Foran of Milford.
• No. 5 Stonington advanced to the Class S quarterfinals with an 8-1 win over East Catholic of Manchester. Colin Williams scored three goals, Jack Riordan scored twice and Zack Poirier had four assists for the Bears (13-5). Mike Brandon made seven saves. The Bears play at No. 4 Weston in the quarterfinals.
• Graham Girty scored five goals and No. 3 Old Lyme advanced to the Class S quarterfinals with an 11-8 win over No. 14 Bacon Academy. Sam Sweitzer scored three goals for the Wildcats. Patrick Egan scored three times for Bacon (7-10). Old Lyme plays host to No. 6 Somers in the quarterfinals.
• Nick LoBianco, Kevin Kohlhepp and Mike Evans scored two goals apiece and No. 8 Ledyard advanced to the Class M quarterfinals with a 7-6 win over No. 9 Northwest Catholic of West Hartford. Slade Baxley made 12 saves for the Colonels (10-8), who play at No. 1 Joel Barlow of Redding in the quarterfinals.
• Chad Berry scored three goals and No. 4 East Lyme advanced to the Class M quarterfinals with a 7-4 win over No. 20 Fairfield Warde. Evan Long scored twice for the Vikings (16-3). East Lyme plays at No. 5 Wilton in the quarterfinals.
• No. 13 Staples of Westport eliminated No. 4 Norwich Free Academy 11-4. The Wildcats finished 14-5.
• Grasso Tech's Steve Robarge was the medalist, but the Eagles lost to Windham Tech 185-200 in a Constitution State Conference meet. Trever Hutchinson shot a 43 for Grasso Tech.
• Waterford beat St. Bernard 5-2. Tyler Goddu, Matt Shea and Andrew Papathanasiou won matches for Waterford (9-6). St. Bernard's Dylan Julian was the medalist with a 44 and Blake Biancamano also won his match for the Saints (7-13).
• Nick Kamireddy and Tyler Cormier shot scores of 40 and Norwich Free Academy edged East Catholic of Manchester 167-170 at Tallwood Country Club. Billy Wallace and Frankie Lee shot 42 for the Wildcats (18-3).
• The sixth-ranked Connecticut College women lead the field in the semifinals of the Intercollegiate Sailing Association (ICSA)/Sperry Top-Sider Women's National Championship. Conn leads No. 13 Charleston by four points. Sophomore skipper Atlantic Brugman, Liz Wilsterman and Claire Sacco are third in the A division with a score of 31 points. In the B division, senior Bitsy Whipple, Kim Bolick, and Katie St. George have scored 28 points en route to second place.
• Joe Luginsland had three hits and scored twice as Fenton's beat Northeast Nine 14-2 on Tuesday. Paul Martinez hit a three-run homer, Jesse Sutherland had two hits, score twice and stole three bases and Mickey Amanti drove in two runs for Fenton's (3-1). Evan Jones had two hits for Northeast Nine.