Old Saybrook — No one was injured Tuesday when a batch of dog bones caught fire in a smoker at Walt’s Market on Main Street.
The small blaze was contained to the back of the store, owner Paul Kozey said, and was out by the time the fire department arrived. Heavy smoke affected one employee who was treated at the scene and refused hospital transport, Old Saybrook Fire Chief J.T. Dunn said.
Kozey smokes everything from kielbasa, ribs and the dog treats, but he said it was the first fire at the venerable store, which sits at 178 Main St. and has operated continuously for more than 50 years. Kozey’s father, Walt, started the market in 1960 and Paul took over in 1993. Walt Kozey died last year.
The dog bones were ruined and the smoker may be, too, but Kozey was glad his employees, and his store, were OK.
“Everything was contained to the back room, there was nothing in the store,” Kozey said. “We closed the dampers, shut it down and just let (the fire) run its course.”