- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Griswold - Josh Zurita pitched a no-hitter in the first game as New London swept a Zone VI American Legion baseball doubleheader from Jewett City on Saturday, winning 8-0 in the opener and 16-3 in the second game.
Zurita struck out three and Shawn Nadeau, who homered, and Aaron Hill had two hits each in the opener.
Izzy Davila pitched a four-hitter in the second game, Drew Doyle had three hits and Hill had two hits for New London.
Trevor Turgeon had two hits in the second game for Jewett City.
In other games:
• Tyler Contillo had four hits and Tyler Miner drove in six runs to lead Montville to a doubleheader sweep of Norwich, winning 10-2 and 13-6.
Nick Kinder had three hits and Tyler Guetens, Andrew Fratoni and Contillo had two hits each in the opener and Miner hit a grand slam in the second game for Montville (15-2).
• Niantic beat Ledyard-Pawcatuck 6-3 in the second game, earning a split of its doubleheader.
Brendon Johnson, Michael Mann and Eddie Lorah had two hits each for Niantic in the second game. Ledyard-Pawcatuck won the opener 2-0 as Connor Buckley pitched a two-hitter.
Bryan Harper had two hits in the first game and Doug Domnarski and Troy Stefanski had doubles in the second game for Ledyard-Pawcatuck.
• Willimantic swept a doubleheader from Waterford at Leary Park, outslugging the hosts in both games 11-8 and 10-6.
Willimantic (14-4) had 30 hits in the two games.
Jordan Hamler went 3-for-4 with three RBI and Will Rios was 3-for-4 with two doubles in the opener for Waterford (11-3) while Rios had three RBIs in the second game and Seth Hoagland added a pair of doubles.
Junior Legion Zone VI
• Logan Gordon pitched a seven-hitter to help lead Norwich to a 10-3 win over Montville. Gordon (3-0) struck out nine and a walked one. Trevon Holland, Daniel MacLean and Thomas Pietruczuk had three hits each for Norwich (3-4).
Holland doubled and scored four runs, MacLean drove in two runs and scored three times and Pietruczuk drove in two runs.
Tigers lose again
• The Tri-City ValleyCats completed a three-game sweep of the Connecticut Tigers with a 14-5 victory in a New York-Penn League game at Troy, N.Y.
Juaner Aguasvivas hit a two-run home for the Tigers, who open a home series against the ValleyCats today at 4 p.m., while Danry Vasquez doubled a pair of runs.
Keene beats Schooners
• Keene broke a 3-3 tie with four runs in the fourth inning and the Swamp Bats went on to rout the Mystic Schooners 12-5 in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game at Fitch High School.
Ryan Lindemuth had a hit and scored twice for Mystic (2-15). Dylan Delacruz, who played at St. Bernard, hit a two-run homer for Keene in the seventh.