- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - David Jones of Norwich is locked in a three-way tie for second place heading into today's final round of the 30th Connecticut Senior Open at Shennecossett Golf Course.
Jones, an amateur playing out of Mohegan Sun Country Club at Pautipaug in Baltic, fired an impressive 3-under 68 in the first round on Monday. Starting with the eighth hole, he recorded birdies on six of nine holes. He shot a 33 on the back nine.
He trails leader Bob Kay of Tumble Brook Country Club by two strokes.
Kay, who's from Hartford, is making his third appearance in the tournament.
Defending champion Lloyd Fisher of Grand Rapids, Mich., and James Becker of Windsor also are tied for second. Fran Marrello, the 2011 senior player of the year, and Tony Kelley are tied for fifth at 2-under.
Other local golfers making the cut include: David Wheatley, Oakdale, tied for 18th with a 73; Bill Hermanson, Old Lyme, tied for 27th, 74; John Farrell, Preston, tied for 35th, 75; Dale Ezyk, Montville, tied for 72nd, 78.
Age division winners were chosen after round one. Jones won the 50-59 amateur division.
In other tournaments:
• Matti Fuller of Old Lyme advanced to match play at the 71st Connecticut Junior Amateur Championship at Watertown Golf Club. In qualifying round action, Fuller shot a 7-over 78, earning the No. 27 seed. He'll face No. 6 John Roberts of Rockledge Country Club today.
Mystic advances to championship
• Winning pitcher Jayden Delaporta struck out six as Mystic beat Torrington 8-2 to advance to Thursday's Section II Little League softball (11-12) championship game at East Lyme.
Natalie Labasi had three hits for Mystic (4-0) and Cassie Woods and Lena Curland each had two hits. Center fielder Kelly Giffault threw out two runners at the plate with catcher Natalie Labasi tagging out both runners.
Tigers rally for win
• Tyler Hanover's two-out, RBI single in the top of the ninth inning scored Bennett Pickar as the Connecticut Tigers rallied to beat the Mahoning Valley Scrappers 5-4 in a New York-Penn League game played before 2,532 at Eastwood Field.
Connecticut (6-16) trailed 4-0 after six innings. It scored a run in the seventh and three in the eight to tie the game.
Patrick Smith's RBI double scored Devon Travis to tie the game in the top of the eighth inning.
Jordan Dean had two hits and an RBI for the Tigers and Travis had two hits, two runs and an RBI.
Jairo Kelly had two hits, a run and an RBI for the Scrappers (12-10).
American Legion Zone VI
• Matt Greene went 3-for-5 with three RBI as New London trounced Norwich 11-0. Shawn Nadeau went 3-for-4, including a triple, with two RBI for New London (20-6). Also, Josh Zurita (4-0) pitched the win.
• Shawn Nadeau had two hits, including a game-winning two-out, two-run single in the bottom of the fifth inning Sunday, to give New London its 4-1 win over Waterford in the second game of a doubleheader. Matt Greene hit a two-run home run for New London and Tristan Hurley doubled and scored. Mike DelosSantos had two hits for Waterford (15-6).
In the first game, Pat Rogers had two hits, including a two-run home run, as Waterford edged New London 5-4. Willie Rios pitched the win for Waterford and Saxon Hebert got the save. Nova Crespo had three doubles and two RBI for New London.