- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Mystic — Caroline Taber pitched a complete game with eight strikeouts as Mystic defeated Montville 10-1 to win the District 10 Junior League (ages 13-14) softball championship Friday.
Jackie Lewis had three hits and three RBI and Nalissa Amar added three hits for Mystic, which advanced to the double-elimination format Section II state tournament beginning July 21 in Moosup.
Mystic's Katherine Georgetti, Taylor Kenyon and Taber had two hits each.
Taylor Lavallie had two hits for Montville and Olivia Novaak an RBI.
State Babe Ruth (13)
• Darien scored four runs in the top of the seventh inning to beat Waterford 11-10, coming back from deficits of 5-0 and 10-5.
Waterford walked 11 batters, seven of whom scored.
Ben Pickowitz was 2-for-3 with a double for Waterford, Nehemiah Knight doubled and Chase Speller tripled. Waterford next plays in the losers' bracket at 11 a.m. Sunday at the Waterford Babe Ruth Field.
Prior to Friday's game, Waterford honored its 2002 13-year-old Babe Ruth team which went to the World Series in Louisiana.
District 10 LL (10-11)
• Jason Kilcoyne struck out 13 batters in five innings as Mystic blanked previously unbeaten Waterford South 4-0 in the championship round, forcing a second and deciding game Monday at Mystic.
Adrian Atad closed out the game for Mystic, while Kilcoyne, John Marcolina, Adam Gibbs, Trey Adams, Cal Jacey and Weston Jacey had hits and Tom Taber two RBI.
Noah Speller pitched a complete game for Waterford South and J.J. Brennan had a single and a double.
Section II LL (9-10)
• Jared Burrows drove in the winning run with a base hit in the bottom of the fifth inning as Waterford South topped Clinton 6-4 in pool play. Liam Kane was the winning pitcher in relief and Payton Sutman made two diving stops at third base and turned a double play for Waterford South (1-1). South plays Rocky Hill at 1 p.m. today in Cromwell.
Tigers win series
• A five-run fifth inning gave the Connecticut Tigers a 5-2 win over the Brooklyn Cyclones in New York-Penn League action front of 3,037 fans at Dodd Stadium. The victory gave the Tigers their second series win this season.
Edgar De La Rosa pitched five innings and allowed one earned run on five hits to earn the victory. Jake Stewart's two-run double highlighted a five-run third inning. Consecutive singles by Juaner Aguasvivas and Devon Travis led to two more runs.
The Tigers (8-17) begin a three-game series against the Auburn Doubledays tonight (7:05) at Dodd Stadium.
• Eric Yavarone (UConn) had two hits and Spencer Haynes (Central Florida) and Jake Romanski (San Diego State) had RBI in the Mystic Schooners' 10-2 loss to the New Bedford Bay Sox in the NECBL.
Mystic (4-24) tied the game 1-1 with a run in the fourth inning, but New Beford went ahead with three in the sixth and added two in the seventh and fourth in the eighth.
Zach Stone (Millersville) had two doubles and three RBI for New Bedford. John Lieske (Illinois State) pitched three innings of relief to earn the victory.
American Legion Zone VI
• Mike Mann had a single and two RBI as Niantic beat Jewett City Thursday 4-2. Jake Unwin pitched the win for Niantic (13-11). Travis Turgeon went 2-for-3 for Jewett City.
• Also Thursday, Jim Gagnon had two hits and three RBI as Danielson beat Niantic, 8-4. Jesse Long went 2-for-3 with an RBI for Danielson. Hunter Waldo had an RBI and a double and Mann had a single and two RBI. Ed Lorah also had two hits.
Jr. American Legion
• Stan Kesilewski improved to 5-0, pitching Montville to a 3-1 win over Moosup. Kesilewski struck out seven and allowed four hits in five innings and Greg Benjamin tripled and scored for Montville (13-5). Steve Jankowski doubled for Moosup.