Simsbury - Waterford advanced to the winners' bracket final of the Connecticut Babe Ruth 15-year-old baseball tournament with a 3-1 victory over Simsbury on Monday.
Waterford, 2-0 in the double elimination event, will play the winner of Monday's late game between Trumbull and Brookfield on Saturday at 10 a.m.
Adam Goss went the distance for Waterford, scattering five singles, while Jesse Coates drove in a pair of runs, Griffin Archambault added an RBI triple and Connor Lewis had a double.
State Babe Ruth (14)
• Ledyard was eliminated from the Connecticut Babe Ruth 14-year-old tournament, falling to Pomperaug 13-3 in the losers' bracket. Kevin Knowles scored a pair of runs for the District 6 champions, who went 1-2 in the tourney.
State Babe Ruth (13)
• Dan Castelpoggi had a single and triple, Chase Speller had two doubles and Nehemiah Knight had a single and double as host Waterford stayed alive in the Connecticut Babe Ruth 13-year-old tournament with a 13-7 losers' bracket win over Norwalk.
Adam Pinch also had two hits, winning pitcher Mitchell Clapsadle doubled and Alex Petchark added a triple for the District 6 champs, who face Shoreline in an elimination game today at 5:30 p.m. at the Babe Ruth complex.
District 10 LL BB (10-11)
• Mystic captured the District 10 Little League (10-11) title with a 12-2 victory over Waterford South. Mystic came out of the losers' bracket to sweep Waterford South and advance to the Section II state tournament starting Wednesday. Mystic will play the District 8 champion Ellington in the opening round of pool play at Glastonbury.
Section II LL SB (9-10)
• Ciana Chiappone and Gina McKittrick each had a single and a double during Waterford South's 25-1 win over Rocky Hill in a game stopped after four innings due to the mercy rule.
Waterford South (2-1) is one of four teams tied for first in the pool play portion of the tourney with two games to play.
Lily Stoddard added two hits and Devyn Concascia tripled for the District 10 champs.
Tigers fall short
• Auburn's Blake Monor scattered three hits over six innings as the Doubledays salvaged the final game of a three-game-series by defeating the Connecticut Tigers 5-1 in a New York-Penn League game at Dodd Stadium.
The Tigers (10-18), who return home to begin a two-game series against the Vermont Lake Monsters tonight, averted a shutout in the eighth when Jared Reaves (3-for-4) singled in Bennett Pickar, who led off the inning with a double.
Zone VI Legion
• Dave Hall had RBI doubles in each of the first two innings as New London built a quick 7-0 lead and rolled to a 10-3 win over Jewett City at Sal Amanti Field.
Nova Crespo added two hits for New London (22-6), including an RBI triple in the fifth, while Pete Aldrich had two hits, two runs and an RBI. Trevor Turgeon had two hits and for Jewett City (5-22).
SEC Babe Ruth (16-18)
• Winning pitcher Colin Harrington had 10 strikeouts and Waterford from a 3-0 deficit to beat Mystic 6-4 at Washington Park. Nick Lehet had two hits and two RBI for Waterford, which scored all six runs in the sixth inning, while Pete Weber had two hits for Mystic (4-11).
• Two Mystic Schooners have been selected to play in Sunday's 19th annual NECBL All-Star Game in Montpelier, Vt. Outfielder Eric Yavarone (UConn) and pitcher Jose Lopez (Seton Hall) will play for the Eastern Division stars.