- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Waterford - Waterford moved within a win of playing for the Connecticut Babe Ruth 13-year-old baseball championship on Tuesday night with an 8-5 victory over Shoreline in a losers' bracket game at the Waterford Babe Ruth complex.
The District 6 champs will play the loser of today's winners' bracket final between Darien and New Milford on Thursday. The championship round begins on Friday.
Dan Castelpoggi had three hits, including a double, for Waterford while Chase Speller added a pair of singles and Mike Rochetti doubled.
Section II LL (9-10) baseball
• Waterford South finished its season with a 9-6 win over Killingly. The District 10 champs finished 3-2 in pool play, but failed to advance to the title game. Payton Sutman was the winning pitcher. He and Avery Albanese each added two singles, a triple and two runs scored while Cadin Maynard had two doubles and three runs.
Section II SL (15-16) softball
• Waterford South its opening game an 11-1 victory over Windsor Locks. Amy Bouchard led Waterford with a triple, single and two RBI while Megan Elphick, Margaret Reagan and Cora Abbiatti all drove in runs and Jill Jamon was the winning pitcher.
Section II LL (9-10) softball
• Waterford South improved to 3-1 with a 23-8 win over Windsor in four innings. Ciana Chiappone and Caroline Petchark pitched two innings each and Lily Stoddard had two hits for Waterford.
District 10 LL (10-11) baseball
• John Marcolina hit two home runs, including a grand slam, during Mystic's 12-2 victory over Waterford South on Monday night in the District 10 championship game. Tom Taber added a home run and a single, winning pitcher Adam Gibbs and Joe Vignato added two hits apiece and Calvin Jacey drove in a pair of runs for Mystic, which begins play in the Connecticut Section II tournament at 7:30 tonight against Ellington at Glastonbury.
Zone VI Junior Legion
• Logan Gordon pitched a six-hitter to lead Norwich to a 6-0 win over Jewett City. Gordon struck out eight with three walks in a complete game for Norwich (13-8). Wyatt Giroux (double) and Brandon Russo had two hits each for Jewett City (5-15).
Charles honored again
• Tina Charles of the Connecticut Sun was named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month for July, the second straight month she's earned the conference's top honor.
Charles led the Sun to a 5-1 record in July (the WNBA is now on a one-month Olympic break), averaging 19 points and 11.2 rebounds per game. She had double-doubles in four of the six games as first-place Connecticut improved to 15-4 in the division.
Candace Parker of the Los Angeles Sparks was named Player of the Month in the Western Conference.
• Three UConn players have been named to the Rotary Lombardi Awardc Watch List - senior tight end Ryan Griffin, senior linebacker Sio Moore and senior defensive end Trevardo Williams. The award is given to the nation's top lineman or linebacker.