Norwich - Jake Stewart hit a game-winning, two-out RBI double in the bottom of the seventh inning to score Tim Remes and gave the Connecticut Tigers a 5-2 win over the Staten Island Yankees Monday in a New York-Penn League game played before 1,707 at Dodd Stadium.
The game was tied 2-2 in the seventh when the Tigers scored three times with two outs.
Jared Reaves had two hits, including a solo home run, and scored twice for Connecticut (22-26) while Stewart had two hits and two runs. Joe Rogers pitched two innings of one-hit relief with three strikeouts, two walks and no runs to earn the win.
Peter O'Brien hit a solo home run for the Yankees (15-32).
Waterford plays for Babe Ruth title
• Waterford faces Pittsfield, Mass., today for the New England Babe Ruth 15-year-old championship at Adams Field in Quincy, Mass., at 4:30 p.m.
Waterford came out of the winners' bracket, so if it loses, then a second game would follow the first.
The winner advances to the World Series in Van Buren, Ark.
Potvin Tournament (17-U)
• Tyler Kennison scattered five hits over 6 2/3 innings with four strikeouts as the Connecticut Mayhem beat the Connecticut Pirates 7-3. Jason Marsh hit a two-run single for Mayhem.
Potvin Tournament (15-U)
• Jacob Hollis' pinch hit, RBI single in the sixth inning gave New London its 2-1 win over the Connecticut Crush. Quantique White pitched a five-hitter with seven strikeouts and doubled for New London while Gabriel Cottoreal had two hits, two stolen bases and scored. Also, Michael Donovan had an RBI single.
• Zach Diacetis hit a two-run single as the Connecticut Crush beat the Shoreline Hammerheads 2-0. Peter Khoury pitched a four-hitter with three strikeouts for the Crush and Trent Garbatti and C.J. Leindecker each had two hits. Anthony Viteritto had two hits for the Hammerheads.
• Connor Elliott and Troy Stefanski both tripled as the Raiders topped Waterford 10-2. Kendrick Boss added a double for the Raiders. Kevin Johnson had two RBI for Waterford.
Potvin Tournament (13-U)
• Hunter Nadeau went 2-for-3 with a run and an RBI and pitched five innings of one-hit relief to earn the win as the Connecticut Pirates Black beat Montville Babe Ruth 10-8. Rayce Gendron went 3-for-4 with three runs for Connecticut while Isaiah Mack went 3-for-4 with two RBI and a run for Connecticut. Also, Juan Otanez went 2-for-3 with two runs. Troy Sullivan had two hits and four RBI for Montville and Xavier Santiago had two hits, two RBI and scored.
• Mike Aldrich's two-run single in the bottom of the seventh capped a four-run rally as Johnny Rockets came back to beat the Pirates 7-6. Aaron Zrenda had two hits, including a two-run double in the seventh, for Johnny Rockets (14-5). Michael Smith had two hits and three runs for the Pirates (9-11).
• UConn was picked to finish second in the American Division by the Big East's 15 head coaches. Marquette was picked to win the division. The Huskies finished 7-8-2 last season and placed sixth in the American Division. UConn returns 15 letterwinners and eight starters, including senior forward Danielle Schulmann and sophomore midfielder Riley Houle of Columbia, both of whom were voted to the All-Big East preseason team.
• UConn was ranked fourth in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America preseason rankings. The Huskies were ranked in the top 10 all of last season, including four weeks at No. 1. It lost to Charlotte on penalty kicks in the NCAA quarterfinals and finished ranked fifth. Defending national champion North Carolina is ranked first.