Norwich - Juaner Aguasvivas' two-run double capped a four-run eighth inning Sunday that lifted the Connecticut Tigers to a 5-0 win over the Aberdeen IronBirds in a New York-Penn League baseball game at Dodd Stadium.
The Tigers (27-31) broke up the scoreless duel in the seventh when Zach Kirksey, who led off the inning with a double, scored on a wild pitch.
Danry Vasquez singled home a run and Edgar Corcino had a sacrifice fly in the eighth before Aguasvivas' double. Vasquez and Kirksey had three hits each and Tyler Hanover and Aguasvivas each had two hits for the Tigers, winners of three straight.
Efrain Nieves (3-1) earned the victory with three innings of hitless relief. He struck out five with no walks.
• UConn opened the season with a 4-2 win over Vermont in a nonleague game. Jennifer Skogerboe scored twice and Danielle Schulmann and Samantha McGuire had a goal each for the Huskies. Former Eastern Connecticut Conference standouts Riley Houle (Windham) and Andrea Plucenik (Woodstock) had assists for UConn.
• Rich Staskowski claimed his first victory of the year in the Late Models Division at the Waterford Speedbowl with a convincing win in Saturday night's late race.
He battled with Jeff Smith of Old Lyme over the first laps, swapping the lead no less than three times. Once in control, Staskowski motored out ahead of the pack. One caution slowed his pace on lap 27 and he mastered the only restart he needed to at over Smith. Bruce Thomas Jr. of Groton was able to get by Smith for second position while Smith hung on for third. Ronding out the top five were Ryan Morgan of Mystic and Waterford's Dillon Moltz.
Fitch fall sports
• Cheerleading practice (conditioning) begins Tuesday at 5 p.m., in the small gymnasium. Fall sports night is also Tuesday at 6:30 p.m., in the auditorium. It's mandatory for all fall athletes (grades 9-12) to be in attendance. Athletes must be accompanied by a parent or guardian and bring their most recent physical form.
All other sports begin on Saturday. They are as follows: boys' cross country in the gym lobby (9 a.m.); girls' cross country in the gym lobby (9:30 a.m.); girls' soccer on the baseball field (8:30 a.m.); boys' soccer at Cutler Middle School (8:30 a.m.); girls' swimming at Avery Point (5:30 a.m.); volleyball in the large gym (10 a.m.) and field hockey at the Mystic Education Center (9 a.m.).
For more information contact athletic director Marc Romano at email@example.com or (860) 460-2898.
Montville fall sports
• There will be three sessions of registration to play fall sports at Montville, beginning today from noon-5 p.m. The other sessions are Thursday (3-5 p.m.) and Saturday (8-10 a.m.). All three sessions will be at the high school's main office. Registrants need to bring a copy of a current physical form (within 13 months) and a signed parent permission form. Both forms are available in the main office.
Practice begins today for football (all players, including freshmen) at 5:15 p.m. Boys' and girls' cross country begins Saturday on the track at 2 p.m., boys' soccer is Saturday at 8 a.m.; girls' soccer is Saturday at 11 a.m., and volleyball is Saturday in the gymnasium at noon.
For more information contact athletic director Walt Sherwin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ledyard fall sports
• Fall sports night will be Wednesday at 7:30 p.m., in the high school auditorium. All students wishing to play a fall sport should attend with a parent or guardian. For more information contact athletic director Jim Buonocore at email@example.com or (860) 464-9600, ext. 123.