Login  /  Register  | 3 premium articles left before you must register.

Morning fire destroys kitchen of Waterford home

By David Collins

Publication: TheDay.com

Published September 02. 2012 1:00PM   Updated September 02. 2012 2:00PM

Waterford _ No injuries were reported this morning from a fire that destroyed the kitchen of a house at 53 Devonshire Drive.

The owner of the house called from a neighbor’s home to report the fire and was not injured, according to fire officials.

The identity of the owner was not immediately available.

Four of the town’s five fire departments responded to the fire, which broke out after 9 a.m. A fifth department stood by to cover other calls, and the Submarine Base fire department also provided assistance.

Lori Lowe, a neighbor, said the owner of the house was baking at the time the fire started in a dryer.

She said another neighbor ran into the house and turned off the main power supply before the fire spread.

Lowe said the owner of the house was going to spend the night in a hotel provided by the American Red Cross.

News by Town

Most Recent Poll
The unemployment rate in the New England region climbed last month. How optimistic are you about the future of the Connecticut economy?
Very optimistic, we have a qualified workforce and the infrastructure that's conducive to growth.
2%
Optimistic, times are tough but Gov. Malloy and other officials are paving the way for growth.
10%
Not optimistic, our state isn't business friendly and the cost of living is driving out young, entrepreneurial types.
73%
I have no optimism and will probably be moving to another state soon.
15%
Number of votes: 2042

No current items found