- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Waterford _ No injuries were reported this morning from a fire that destroyed the kitchen of a house at 53 Devonshire Drive.
The owner of the house called from a neighbor’s home to report the fire and was not injured, according to fire officials.
The identity of the owner was not immediately available.
Four of the town’s five fire departments responded to the fire, which broke out after 9 a.m. A fifth department stood by to cover other calls, and the Submarine Base fire department also provided assistance.
Lori Lowe, a neighbor, said the owner of the house was baking at the time the fire started in a dryer.
She said another neighbor ran into the house and turned off the main power supply before the fire spread.
Lowe said the owner of the house was going to spend the night in a hotel provided by the American Red Cross.