New London - Some New London cultural and educational organizations have joined forces to commemorate Latino Heritage Month with a plethora of events.
From now through Nov. 9, there will be film screenings, art exhibits, poetry, spoken word, fiestas and educational workshops. It will culminate with a performance at the Garde Arts Center with Bachata singer Toby Love.
Nadesha Mijoba, director of the Provenance Center, says, "I'm delighted that so many of the local organizations have joined together to highlight the many cultural, social, educational, and economic advancements the Latino community has made to the City of New London."
Partners include: Expressiones Cultural Center, Provenance Center, Centro De La Comunidad, Garde Arts Center, New London College Access Program, Coast Guard Academy's Office of Inclusion & Diversity, Connecticut College's Unity House, New London Public Library, New London Youth Affairs, and Writers Block, Ink.
All events are open to the general public.
• Hispanic Heritage Film Festival, "La Nana" (The Maid): 6:30 tonight, NL Public Library, 63 Huntington St.
• Latino Leadership Address - Assistant Secretary of the Navy Hon. Juan Garcia, III: 7 p.m. Thursday, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, Leamy Auditorium.
• Screening: "Precious Knowledge" (documentary centered on the banning of the Mexican American Studies Program in the Tucson Unified School District in Arizona): 7 p.m. Saturday, Connecticut College, Crozier Williams Student Center, Cro's Nest.
• "Somos Americanos" panel discussion about the conflicts between heritage, nationality and the future of Latino students who are affected by the DREAM Act: 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept, 25., Connecticut College, Ernst Common Room, Blaustein Hall.
• Hispanic Heritage Film Festival, title TBD: 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 3, NL Public Library, 63 Huntington St.
• Latino Theatre of New London performance "Hispanics in the Arts in the Americas": 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4, Connecticut College, Crozier Williams Student Center, 1962 Room.
• Fiesta Latina, with food and dance performances: 6-8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13, Centro De La Comunidad, 109 Blinman St.
• Screening: "The Other City": 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 15, Connecticut College, Crozier Williams Student Center, Cro's Nest.
• Habla: An Evening of Poetry & Spoken Word: 7 p.m. Friday., Oct. 19, Centro De La Comunidad, 109 Blinman St.
• Centro De La Comunidad 43rd Anniversary Celebration: 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 20th, Niantic Motel.
• Toby Love concert: 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 26, Garde Arts Center. Tickets: (860) 444-7373, www.gardearts.org.
• Mini Belleza, Centro de la Comunidad's youth beauty pageant: 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 27, New London High School, Auditorium.
• Art Exhibits at Expressiones: Now-Oct. 13, Expressiones Cultural Center, 84 Bank St.; "Immersión/Extraction," Ignacio Gana & Chantal Bernsau from Chile, inspired by the Chilean desert and crystalline waters of the Chilean Sea and natural resources.
• "Meeting of two Ancient Cultures": Oct. 19-Nov. 9, Aymar Copacatty from Peru & Sebastian Portillo from Mexico.