- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Montville — Montville High School remained unbeaten Wednesday night with a 2-1 boys' soccer victory over East Lyme.
Connor Leeman handed the Indians a 1-0 lead at halftime and Jeff Tryon added a second half goal. Matt Staehle had an assist and goalie Jake Sorenson made five saves for Montville (10-0), ranked second in the latest Class M-S state coaches' pll behind Bacon Academy.
Peter Hebbel scored for the Vikings (3-5-2) off an assist from Jeff Lemmon.
In other games:
• Nate Haynes and Ben Bruciati scored goals less than five minutes apart in the second half to break a 1-1 tie and lift Ledyard to a 3-1 victory over Woodstock Academy.
Haynes, assisted by Anthony Saccone, scored in the 61st minute to give the Colonels (8-2) the lead for good and Bruciati, assisted by Christof Wegiel, gave Ledyard some breathing room in the 66th minute.
It was the second goal of the night for Bruciati, who scored just 4:54 into the match (Alex Paterson assisted). Ledyard held a 20-14 edge in shots and goalie Jason Smith made eight saves.
• Patrick Lewis, Tim Paz, Eric Palomino, Izaak Miller and Seth Johnson each scored goals in Norwich Free Academy's 5-0 win over Stonington. Goalie Carl Chancy had one save for the Wildcats (5-1-1). Steven Zelepos made 17 saves for the Bears (3-7).
• Frank Norosky had a goal and an assist for Fitch in its 2-0 win over New London. Sean Burns scored, Mason Cummings had an assist and Adam Jacey added six saves for the Falcons (3-5-1). The Whalers are 0-10.
• Brett Pias and Aaron Schwartz scored goals in Waterford's 2-1 win over Lyman Memorial. Goalie Elliot Diana had six saves for the Lancers (8-2).
• Rob Poirier scored what was the game-winning goal in the fourth minute of overtime as Old Lyme beat East Hampton, 3-1, in the Shoreline Conference. George Logan scored twice and added an assist for the Wildcats (5-3-1) and midfielder Eric Behringer played a strong game. Also, Spencer Saunders had four saves.
• Grasso Tech improved to 4-5 with a 4-0 victory over Putnam in the Constitution State Conference. Andrew Haddon, Conrad Beebe, Toussaint Bradford and Corey Horelick scored for the Eagles and goalie Mario Tedeschi made nine saves for the shutout.
• Sitiraq Vangeli scored two goals in Williams' 6-3 loss to Christian Heritage. Adam Collins added a goal and an assist for the Blues (2-8) while Andrew Meagher had two assists.
• Ashley Thibodeau scored twice as Parish Hill beat Grasso Tech, 3-0, in the CSC. Parish Hill is 5-5.
Tonia Johnson had 27 saves for Grasso (2-7).
• Visiting Williams and Wheeler School (R.I.) played to a 2-2 tie as Emily Hamilton had a goal and assist for the Blues, Cassidy Taylor added a goal and Abby Smith had an assist.