- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Nikki Schoolcraft 34 assists and Ashley Adams added 21 kills as Fitch High School downed Lyman Memorial Wednesday 25-16, 11-25, 25-18, 23-25, 15-8 in an interdivision girls' volleyball match.
Michelina Pinto had eight digs for Fitch (9-2) and Kristin Gaudet added four aces.
Alyssa Tachi had 25 assists for the Bulldogs.
In other matches:
• Sophie Sweden had 31 assists, three digs and three aces to help Norwich Free Academy outlast Montville 25-22, 23-25, 25-19 and 25-15. Oliva Lane added five blocks and eight kills and Alyssa Velles 16 kills for the Wildcats (6-5) while Jessica Ware had five digs and 12 service points for Montville (4-6) and Gabby Iaconiello had five digs and eight service points.
• Ellie Santana had 12 assists, eight aces and three digs as Grasso Tech rolled to a 25-15, 25-23 and 25-17 victory over Hartford Capital in the CSC. Catrina Nowakowski added three kills, four aces and four blocks for the Eagles (6-6, 3-3) while Mayra Vitorino had six kills, two assists and four digs.
• Paige Palenski had nine aces and 13 assists in Old Lyme's sweept of Cromwell in Shoreline Conference action. Game scores were 25-11, 25-22 and 25-18. Amanda Burke added six kills for the Wildcats.
• Bailey Spellman had four kills, 10 aces and 19 assists and Morgan Deschamps added six digs and four aces in Norwich Tech's sweep of Ellis Tech in the Constitution State Conference. Game scored were 25-9, 25-12, 28-26. The Warriors improved to 11-1, 10-0.
H.S. field hockey
• Bancroft scored two goals in each half and cruised to a 4-1 win over Williams. Simone Kronholm scord in the first half for the Blues (2-4) and goalie Kailah Waheed made 10 saves.
H.S. boys' cross country
• Host Grasso Tech lost a pair of Constitution State Conference meets, losing to Platt Tech 15-45 and Ellis Tech 28-29. Mack Foster finished seventh overall for the Eagles in 21:24 while Zach Rand was eighth in 21:30. Grasso is 1-8, 1-4.
• Justin Shafner was the individual winner in 19:11 as Williams took the top three spots to defeat Chase Collegiate 20-37 at Bucks Hill Park in Waterbury. Brien Bradley was second for the Blues (19:21) and Chris Ivemey finished third in 19:24.
H.S. girls' cross country
• Grasso Tech's Jennifer Martin finished third overall in 29:03, but the Eagles were beaten by Platt Tech 15-50 in the CSC. The Eagles are 1-8, 0-5.
• Maddy Lahm of Williams finished first in 22:06, but the Blues were beaten by Chase Collegiate. Saran Shafner added a fourth for the Blues in 25:23.
College women's soccer
• Rebecca Raymond scored in the 62nd minute as Connecticut College tied Mount Holyoke, 1-1. The Camels (3-6-2) outshot Mt. Holyoke 34-3.
• Mitchell College fell to 2-6 overall, 2-2 in the NECC, with a 2-0 loss at Southern Vermont College (8-3-1, 2-2). Goalie Kaylee Woodford had eight saves for the Mariners.
College men's soccer
• Coast Guard scored three goals in the second half on the way to a 3-1 win over Albertus Magnus (11-2-2). John Tarzian had two goals and Greg Kennerley added three assists while Matt Epperly also scored for the Bears (8-3-1), who've gone 5-0-1 in their last six games.
• Mitchell College took the final two sets in a 3-1 victory over Elms College in the New England Collegiate Conference. Game scores were 25-18, 22-25, 25-20 and 25-18. Junior Gloria Charles had career-best 14 kills to lead the Mariners (6-8, 3-1) who posted their fourth win in five games.
Junior Nicole Terni of Montville finished with a match-high 37 assists and added 13 digs while freshman Kaisea Caramante of Old Lyme had 22 digs.
• Mitchell placed third in a rain-shortened Mitchell Invitational at Shennecossett Golf Course. The match ended after 10 holes. Newbury won the event with 190 strokes and Mitchell had 216. Max Jewett shot a 48 to lead the Mariners.